Main Menu

Preferred street shocks

Started by Challenger in NC, January 24, 2023, 10:20:50 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Challenger in NC

Aside from the typical QA-1, Viking, Hotchkis, Bilstein recommendations, what would be a great shock (non-adjustable) for avg. street use? I am having a hard time trying to justify $750 for a set of adjustable valving shocks. I will have a basically stock suspension except with poly bushings and sub-frame connectors. I will not be dragging or auto-crossing. I'm thinking of using a cheaper set to start with and maybe upgrading later. I almost purchased the single adjustable QA-1 shocks ($750 with tax at Summit) but I chickened out.  :))

blown motor

I had KYB Gas-A-Just on my Challenger when I bought it. I switched to Bilstein because of people saying the ride was better. Honestly I saw little if any difference. Certainly nothing to just of the cost of the switch. My KYBs are for sale cheap but I think the cost of shipping to NC would sink the deal.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Challenger in NC

Quote from: blown motor on January 24, 2023, 11:36:30 AM
I had KYB Gas-A-Just on my Challenger when I bought it. I switched to Bilstein because of people saying the ride was better. Honestly I saw little if any difference. Certainly nothing to just of the cost of the switch. My KYBs are for sale cheap but I think the cost of shipping to NC would sink the deal.

I looked those up and I can get a set of those shipped to me for $151, exactly 1/5 the price of the QA-1. However, I know nothing about the reliability and performance difference between the two. The QA-1 set is probably better, just dont know if its 5X the value, probably not for the avg. street cruiser.  :dunno:

7212Mopar

If you changed your stock torsion bars to bigger diameter bars then the adjustable shocks will be needed to control the suspension. Otherwise regular replacement shocks will do for regular cruising. I ran Monroe replacement shocks back in the early 80s, cheap and work just fine. The Bilstein are higher quality shocks and many people on this forum have them, cheaper than the adjustable.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Challenger in NC

Quote from: 7212Mopar on January 24, 2023, 12:49:07 PM
If you changed your stock torsion bars to bigger diameter bars then the adjustable shocks will be needed to control the suspension. Otherwise regular replacement shocks will do for regular cruising. I ran Monroe replacement shocks back in the early 80s, cheap and work just fine. The Bilstein are higher quality shocks and many people on this forum have them, cheaper than the adjustable.

I did increase the torsion bar from 0.92" (stock 383) to around 1". I tried to look up compatible Bilstein shocks but no part listing is given, maybe a custom size is required?

dodj

I changed my torsion bars to 1.03" as well. Changed from Edelbrock IAS shocks to the $750 QA1 shocks. The difference was a real eye opener. I think they are fully worth the $750 for my street cruiser.
I've heard Bilstein RCD's are pretty good but never tried.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Skdmark

Single adjustable QA1 on my 71 Barracuda street cruiser.
Very satisfied with them and would buy again.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

70vert

I upgraded to 1.06 torsion bars (440) and went with the Bilstein RCD shocks (not adjustable). A huge improvement over stock and very happy with the ride. Just a street car driven at least weekly.
Not sure how much I paid, plus that was a few years ago but I highly recommend them.

cudaragtop

Bilsteins - Best bang for the buck suspension upgrade on the 'Cuda since I've owned it.
Huge improvement over any of the previous shocks I have had on this or other E-Bodies I have owned.
Have a brand new set of 4 Bilsteins waiting to go on our G3 Hemi A-Body project car too.

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

torredcuda

I went from stock to 1.03" torsion bars and KYBs to Bilsteins and the not only handles but actually rides much better.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Mrbill426

I've installed KYB Gas-adjust on our 'Cuda, but have not had it on the road yet; hopefully by Summer.  I've been saying that for years at this point though. :(

Challenger in NC

Quote from: Mrbill426 on January 25, 2023, 11:32:53 AM
I've installed KYB Gas-adjust on our 'Cuda, but have not had it on the road yet; hopefully by Summer.  I've been saying that for years at this point though. :(

I know the feeling

Challenger in NC

Is $500 for a set of Billsteins sound about right? Ive checked a couple places and shipping is another $62. Also, did they have to be sized on a case by case or is their a std OEM part? Firm Feel calls them RCD but those dont show up much in searches.

cudaragtop

70 rears are a different length than 71-74 because of the different rear shock plates used for 70 only E-Bodies.
Always exceptions out there... model year changeover, T/A, AAR, etc....

$500 sounds like a good price to me. I paid $400 for 4 in 2013

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

Challenger in NC