Main Menu

Proper way to adjust torsion bars

Started by Mopsquad, February 07, 2018, 09:51:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mopsquad

Hello all,  I did a forum search and didn't see a specific thread on adjusting the torsion bars to affect ride height.  I have a few questions.

What I know:

The car should be on jack stands.

Tightening raises the ride height

What I don't know, well... everything else including a note about loosening something called a pivot nut?

Will I need a re-alignment if I raise 1/2"

Reason:  On bumped turn, the tire caught the wheel house stainless trim and bent it

Can you all help me properly adjust these things?

1970 Cuda convertible, sitting a bit too low in front.

Shane Kelley

I think your car looks great the way it is!  :banana:
But if you want to raise the front just put a floor jack under the front and take some of the weight of the wheels. Doesn't have to be in the air off the ground. I would try 1 full turn and see what that does. You will need to drive it around the block so it settles back down. They never settle down all the way just sitting in the garage. Don't worry about the pivot nut doing this.

anlauto

Yea...I love those wheels....For the minor amount you want, I wouldn't worry too much, just follow Shane's advice above...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71383bee

Others will likely add more here but from what i recall of the factory manual is the adjustment is done on level ground and its measured by measuring the distance from the ground to the part of the K frame where the LCA attaches and then measuring again at the lowest hanging part of the LCA and the ground.  The difference between the numbers is your target.  Its something like 1.5" or so. 

For adjusting you only need to adjust the pivot bolt located inside the lower control arm.  Use no less that a half inch ratchet and a deep socket so you don't round the bolt.  Its a hard bolt to budge so its good to spray some penetrating oil on the threaded guide that's in the LCA.   You'll see it. There's a window and you'll see the bolt threading through a flat bracket.  Tighten to raise....loosen to lower.  Its good to adjust a few turns then bounce the car to see where it ends up.   

Hope this helps. 
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

7212Mopar

1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Mopsquad

Thanks all!  I do like the ride height but there appears to be an interference issue, given that that tire caught the trim and bent it on a turn over a bump. 

Is the pivot bolt the same thing as the bolt that you use to adjust the torsion rod?

61K T/A

Is your wheel well factory rolled? If not, this could be the reason you bent the trim. AFAIK Hemi cars didn't come with trim. Beautiful car BTW!

Brads70

Beautiful job on that car! WOW!  Another thing you might want to consider is adding more camber to get the clearance you need. If they aligned it to factory settings it won't handle as good as it could as those settings were for bias ply tires.

71-440

Quote from: Mopsquad on February 07, 2018, 02:29:29 PM
Thanks all!  I do like the ride height but there appears to be an interference issue, given that that tire caught the trim and bent it on a turn over a bump. 

Is the pivot bolt the same thing as the bolt that you use to adjust the torsion rod?

Yes. It's inside the lower control arm.
Joe

Mopsquad

Good advice everyone.  I did purchase the car with GY polyglas tires.  So possibly not enough negative camber dialed in.  I could also tap the trim on the inside edge to decrease the chance of the tire catching.

6bblgt

the pivot nut is where the lower control arm pivots, for the minimum you are changing your ride height, I wouldn't worry about it

but it isn't supposed to be tightened until the ride height is set, to NOT preload the lower control arm bushing

GY3R/T

Changing front ride hight also changes front end alignment .    :alan2cents:

mopar jack

For best handling with stock suspension you should use the factory specs.

Mopsquad

Quote from: 6bblgt on February 07, 2018, 07:22:47 PM
the pivot nut is where the lower control arm pivots, for the minimum you are changing your ride height, I wouldn't worry about it

but it isn't supposed to be tightened until the ride height is set, to NOT preload the lower control arm bushing

Sorry, a bit confused.  To adjust the ride height, need to tighten a certain bolt/nut etc...   

The pivot nut/bolt, is that what I use to raise/lower the ride height or, is there another nut/bolt used to adjust ride height? 

HP_Cuda

The bolt is in the middle of your lower control arm. We will call it the adjustment bolt.  :)

Right turn raises the cuda, left turn lowers the cuda.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200