Main Menu

PST 1.03 torsion bar install.. LCA orientation?

Started by FSHTAIL, June 11, 2020, 02:26:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

Can anyone give me some pointers for installing the PST 1.03 torsion bars please?

I have an aftermarket crossmember and it seems like the LCA's can drop down much further.   
I'm not even sure I'm orientating these correctly..
Do I angle the arms as high up or as low as they go?

I'm beat, backs done for the night and the mind is scrambled.  :bricks:

I need someone to lightly tap these in while I hold it in place anyways and everyone is sleeping (2nd shift schedule)

Thanks in advance for the guidance. 
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

dodj

Hold the lca close to the position it would be in if you had it attached to the knuckle. Relatively horizontal compared to your pic, hanging  downward like the uca resting on it's bumpstop.

When I installed mine with the QA1 kmember a couple months ago I attached the LCA to the knuckle before inserting the t-bar. This held the lca in close position for t-bar installation. Then with just a bit of downward pressure on the LCA, the t-bar slid in fairly easily. A couple taps from the rear to get it past the lock ring groove.

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Mr Lee

Also make sure they are oriented correctly (there is a right and left).

On a separate note, did you receive dust seals that go with those thick bars?  They should go on first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

FSHTAIL

I've got the bar marked R on the passengers side.
L has yet to be installed.   

New boots are on. 
I put grease on the inside of it then soaked the tight part in hot water for a minute before installing.
I used the orange nailtex protector on the crossmember hex to prevent scratches/marring while sliding the bar through. 

:happybday:
Quote from: Mr Lee on June 11, 2020, 04:58:35 AM
Also make sure they are oriented correctly (there is a right and left).

On a separate note, did you receive dust seals that go with those thick bars?  They should go on first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shane Kelley

Quote from: dodj on June 11, 2020, 04:04:04 AM
Hold the lca close to the position it would be in if you had it attached to the knuckle. Relatively horizontal compared to your pic, hanging  downward like the uca resting on it's bumpstop.

When I installed mine with the QA1 kmember a couple months ago I attached the LCA to the knuckle before inserting the t-bar. This held the lca in close position for t-bar installation. Then with just a bit of downward pressure on the LCA, the t-bar slid in fairly easily. A couple taps from the rear to get it past the lock ring groove.

:iagree:  Bolt the LCA back on the spindle first.

Burdar

Your LCA is hanging down too far.  There are only a limited amount of positions it can be in since the torsion bar is a hex.  It's not like it's an axle spline and you have 30 different places it could go.  The easiest thing to do in my eyes, is to just pull the torsion bar out of the LCA socket, then lift up the LCA and install the torsion bar 1 "flat" up and try it.  You might have to go 2 flats but start with one.  To me it looks like you're just 1 flat off.

Make sure the bar's hex and the car's hex are free from paint that might make it really tight.

HP2

Generally speaking, you want the lower control arm down when installing torsion bars. This is to allow it to pre-load the bar once in ride position. However, as you go up in diameter in the t-bar, the less this pre-loading is needed. With a 1.03, I'd agree you probably need to rotate the arm up to the next hex position.  With the 1.24 bars I have, the arm had to be almost level for them to install.

I'd also agree that with paint,grease, or anything else, the actual fit could be reeeaaaallly tight and could interfere with getting them started easily.

FSHTAIL

I ended up setting the arms at around a 4:30 position.   
The adjusters are all the way out.    This "should" be about right. 

PST said to set them at about a 5 o'clock angle. 
Wish me luck once I set her down.....  :Thud:

HP2

Don't be surprised if you do not have to crank the positioner bolts in very far.

Burdar

QuoteDon't be surprised if you do not have to crank the positioner bolts in very far.

I'd be curious to see how much of the adjusting bolt is hanging down below the LCA once you get the ride height set.  I wouldn't want them hanging beneath at all.  I wonder if a situation has ever arisen where the bolt needed to be shortened when the thicker bars were used?

FSHTAIL

I'm aiming for stock height.   
The headers were 2" off the ground at the flange as it is. 

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Burdar

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

FSHTAIL

So with the last 3 replies, I'm guessing I'm on the right track?

I still have to Center the box and install the steering column to the Box, lines and fluids..

60 hour weeks really kill my wrench time. 
I just got the brakes bolted on, hopefully it'll be bleed time after I get the steering column/wheel off the drivers seat.