Main Menu

Putting the Cuda back on the road

Started by ledphoot, April 19, 2018, 04:59:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ledphoot

After 15 years of sitting around... I am putting my '73 Cuda back on the road. Thanks to my wife for prodding me to do it with a couple big gift cards to parts shops. I have a 416 stroker, with a custom EFI system that produces a steetable 500HP. TTI Headers / Exhaust, Keisler (RIP) 5 speed kit, 17" Torque thrust II's with 245 and 275 17 Kumho tires and some other misc goodies I've collected over the years.

This is a street cruiser, but I want it to handle better than it did stock.

My K-Member was a bit banged up and I didn't want to mess with straightening / cleaning / powder coating it etc. and I wasn't too into the whole coilover conversion thing, so I ordered QA1's stage III kit to address the front end. I reached out to BAC to get the Borgenson steering box / linkage and 1.14" torsion bars.... I am looking at stiffening the radiator support and installing subframe connectors.. Would you guys bother with the torque boxes? I have some .75" offset leaf hangers / shackles that should allow my tires to clear better (currently 1/8" clearance ick), would these impact the handling? What leafs would you guys use with this setup? Hotchkis / Flex-A-Form / Hypercoil ??? I would like the car to sit ~1-2" lower than stock and fairly flat front to rear.

I've been reading a lot of posts here and you guys have done some amazing stuff. I appreciate all the information you have shared, hopefully I can share some good stuff too as I go through this process.

Brads70

Welcome to the site! Your Cuda sounds like lots of fun!
I would install the torque boxes as every bit helps! Offset springs won't effect handling imo. I'm using Hypercoil leaf springs but be warned if you do you will need good shocks for sure and super stock hangers( preferably double adjustable). Regular parts store shocks won't cut it.

Dakota

Welcome to the site from Buffalo, NY :wave:

I've been a believer in adding everything that can be added to stiffen the body, so for me it would be a "yes" to the torque boxes.   I used the plates from US Cartool.   My car was painted first (not the best path), so I've held off welding up the one side of the rear boxes that's close to the paint.   

bluespruce

Welcome from Colorado, hope you get your cuda on the road soon

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site from Panama  :wave: :panama:
You are on the right track to making it handle better ,
I would add subframes , inner fender braces , rad support & Tq boxes for sure , good  double adjustable shocks & large hollow sway bars , Hotchkiss makes great  / proven parts  . Brad used the composite leafs & loves those on his Chall .
Using a narrow B body diff with the offset hangers is the proven trick the gains in tire will offset any marginal loss moving the springs inward slightly .

ledphoot

Quote from: Brads70 on April 19, 2018, 05:15:35 PM
I would install the torque boxes as every bit helps! Offset springs won't effect handling imo. I'm using Hypercoil leaf springs but be warned if you do you will need good shocks for sure and super stock hangers( preferably double adjustable). Regular parts store shocks won't cut it.

Thank you, I will go ahead and order all the structural enhancements including torque boxes then.. May as well buy once and cry once. I believe I found a reputable guy who will do all the welding / installation for a reasonable price.

I purchased ridetech shocks for it, hopefully those will do the job. I am not trying to build a budget car.. I think the license plate should be IH8MUNY LoL

Will the hyper coil springs / super stock hangers provide a little more clearance for the rear tires? I have an eighth of an inch and would like to see at least half to 3/4 of an inch...

ledphoot

Quote from: Dakota on April 19, 2018, 05:19:17 PM
Welcome to the site from Buffalo, NY :wave:

I've been a believer in adding everything that can be added to stiffen the body, so for me it would be a "yes" to the torque boxes.   I used the plates from US Cartool.   My car was painted first (not the best path), so I've held off welding up the one side of the rear boxes that's close to the paint.

Thanks.. Yeah my car is already painted as well.. Ugh.. I didn't even consider that, but I think I could follow your lead with regards to leaving the one side until it comes time for a repaint. Thanks again. And US Car tool is the setup I was looking at, the article in HotRod magazine is what got my attention.

ledphoot

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 19, 2018, 06:04:25 PM
Welcome to the site from Panama  :wave: :panama:
You are on the right track to making it handle better ,
I would add subframes , inner fender braces , rad support & Tq boxes for sure , good  double adjustable shocks & large hollow sway bars , Hotchkiss makes great  / proven parts  . Brad used the composite leafs & loves those on his Chall .
Using a narrow B body diff with the offset hangers is the proven trick the gains in tire will offset any marginal loss moving the springs inward slightly .

I will be using my current rear end, I rebuilt it not too long ago and my driveshaft is all dialed in for the 8.75"... We'll cut the perches off of it and put them where they belong and set the proper pinion angle.

Definitely going to do all the US Car Tool braces like you described... Seems like I shouldn't try to take any shortcuts.

The goal is for this car to spank my friends 2014 SRT8.. and maybe give my neighbor's hellcat a run for the money.

Cuda Cody

Welcome to the site @ledphoot   :welcome:   :banana: Sounds like a fun project! 

dodgemania

:welcome: to the site, sounds like a strong car.  :drinkingbud:

ledphoot

Quote from: dodgemania on April 19, 2018, 10:07:13 PM
:welcome: to the site, sounds like a strong car.  :drinkingbud:

Thanks Guys....

It should be a strong runner.. I am not sure if you guys are familiar with Rich Nedbal (Mopar Engines West / FASTMan EFI) but he built my stroker and fuel injection system. Seriously one of the smartest guys I have ever met. I got distracted by Harleys for a while and this project got sidelined... The engine was broke in and sounded beautiful.. I opened it up to see if the cylinders / crank etc. all looked good and it was still pristine.. So it's time to get busy and make this beast tear up some pavement. AND spank some modern challengers :)

Thanks again. I will try to take some pics of what's up with the cars this weekend. (There's a challenger involved as well...)

mopar thunder

:welcome: from SW Florida. Sounds like a very nice project and car. I have heard of Rich Nedbal because when I was researching EFI systems that name came up. Would love to see some pics of it!

Brads70

Quote from: ledphoot on April 19, 2018, 09:11:30 PM
Quote from: Brads70 on April 19, 2018, 05:15:35 PM

Thank you, I will go ahead and order all the structural enhancements including torque boxes then.. May as well buy once and cry once. I believe I found a reputable guy who will do all the welding / installation for a reasonable price.

I purchased ridetech shocks for it, hopefully those will do the job. I am not trying to build a budget car.. I think the license plate should be IH8MUNY LoL

Will the hyper coil springs / super stock hangers provide a little more clearance for the rear tires? I have an eighth of an inch and would like to see at least half to 3/4 of an inch...

Ridetech makes some nice pieces that's for sure! Not sure about the clearances with the composite leafs? I did the B-Body width Dana swap all at the same time, so I can't say?

nsmall

Your project sounds awesome.  My only complaint is I am jealous of what you have under the hood.  Feel free to ask any questions.

RUNCHARGER

Welcome from B.C. Canada. That sounds like it should be a well balanced package.
Sheldon