Main Menu

QA 1 - Strut Rods and Shocks

Started by Cudajason, February 16, 2021, 02:34:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Hey guys,

I am planning to order QA1 adjustable strut rods and single adjustable shocks next month.

Anyone have any issue with the QA1 products.

I see Hotchkis offers  the same parts, but a bit more money.  Is it worth it to hold off and order the Hotchkis over the QA1 parts?

Thanks,

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

dodj

I have the QA! struts and the QA1 single adjustable shocks. I picked the shocks up at their manufacturing facility in Lakeland a few years ago. Nothing but good things to say about them. I don't have any Hotchkis so I can't give you a comparison though. Willing to bet you can't go wrong with either brand.
I will say I thought I had pretty good shocks on the car before I installed the QA1 pieces. After the driving with the QA1 shocks, I became a believer in the 'you get what you pay for' when it comes to shocks.

I also have the QA1 K-member.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Dakota

I have been using the QA1 strut rods without any issues.  I didn't drive the car much before I took it apart so I can't really give a "before and after" comparison.  Just make sure you get a measurement on the length(s) of your existing strut rods so you have a good starting point for setting up the new ones.

I have Billstein shocks all around so no help for you there. 

usraptor

I have the QA1 non-adjustable shocks all around on my '70 'Cuda.  They work well but definitely stiffen up the ride.

Brads70

I have double adjustable shocks on both the Challenger and the Javelin. I've had them on the Challenger for 8+ years now with no issues. Liked them so well I bought them for the Javelin but haven't got it on the road yet. Love the adjustability!  :alan2cents:

Skdmark

Put QA1single adjustable on mine last year with new leafs. World of difference.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

7212Mopar

Looking at the front shock, QA1 has the adjustment knob at the bottom. Hotchkis has it at the top. So I suppose the two are not the same design. I am running Hotchikis with their torsion bar and front sway bar but QA1 strut rods. I really like the combo in and out of turns. Transient response is another matter and seems more have to do with the unibody stiffness. I do admit I have not try to push it hard and don't want to lose it and hurt my ride.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Cudajason

thanks for all the feedback guys.

looks like I will stick with the QA1 plan.

Looking forward to the improved ride from the adjustable shocks and seeing if the adjustable strut rods help any.

Jason

:wrenching:    :stayinlane:

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

benlavigne

@Cudajason , Previous owner had installed single-adjustable QA1's on my otherwise stock Challenger, and I found the ride too stiff to my taste, so I replaced them.
Let me know if you have not bought them yet, I still have them, practically new, only need the lower bushings for the rear ones.

Ben

Cudajason

Quote from: benlavigne on February 17, 2021, 06:54:41 AM
@Cudajason , Previous owner had installed single-adjustable QA1's on my otherwise stock Challenger, and I found the ride too stiff to my taste, so I replaced them.
Let me know if you have not bought them yet, I still have them, practically new, only need the lower bushings for the rear ones.

Ben

PM sent!

Scooter

^^^ Great offer!!  :bigthumb:

I have the QA1 single adjustable on all 4 corners... love them. They do stiffen up fast as you turn the dial. I typically run 3 to 6 clicks equally on all 4 corners.... cant even imagine how stiff it would be cranked to 18...lol. 

dodj

Quote from: benlavigne on February 17, 2021, 06:54:41 AM

Ben
Mine you can dial down to way too soft. I run a setting of 6-8
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Purepony

I have qa1s in my camaro and love them !

jordan

I have the Hotchkis strut rod.  The solid design has a much tighter feel on the brakes than the rubber bushing ones.  It doesn't look like there would be much difference between the two brands since both are of similar design. I killed the rubber bushing at the K frame when I first built my car on a stock style adjustable strut.  No problem since I switched to the Heim joint. 
     I have AFCO single adjustable shocks and love them.  The adjustment is at the top.  Easy for the fronts.  Kind of a bitch to adjust on the rear.  I put them on at full soft and then drove.  It was horrible.  I slowly dialed them up until I got the ride quality I wanted.  The car has much better control with a well set up shock. 
     It will be worth the time and money on this mod! 
"Don't brake until you see God!"