Main Menu

QA1 shocks

Started by usraptor, February 11, 2017, 06:13:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

Okay, I have an opportunity to buy a set of used (200  miles) non-adjustable TN501 QA1 shocks for my '70 Cuda (440, 4-speed, Factory Hemi Suspension) for a little over half price the cost of new.

We've had some rather large unexpected medical bills come up recently and I'm also hoping to get my 'Cuda in for final paint work in the near future which won't be cheap and I still need to spend $900 on the 3" TTi exhaust system so I'm trying to save money where I can.

I know that several people really like the Bilsteins, but considering the savings in $ for these QA1s, I'm really tempted.  The current owner said the ride was harsher than he preferred with the QA!s, but different people have different opinions as to what constitutes a "hard"ride.  I've read some reviews where driver's like the ride of the front shocks but felt the rears were to "bouncy".  My daily  driver is a 1-ton quad cab LB Duramax diesel, so I'm pretty familiar with a "hard"ride.

My 'Cuda will be a weekend/ car show/ cruise night driver.  No track time.  Well maybe once or twice a year at the local drag strip, if that.  So will these QA1s be good enough to get me on the road for now or will I regret buying them? 

Cuda Cody

I LOVE Bilsteins shocks and use them on my trucks, but for my E-Bodies I run these.....

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=9615&cc=1495993

And with our 5% off seal they come in under $20.  Hard to beat for a nice stock shock.  :alan2cents:  You could always save a little now and later when things get better change them to something else?

Also, for some reason Rock Auto does not list them under Plymouth so you have to look under Dodge Challenger 440 to find them.

usraptor

Good idea Cody.  I keep that under consideration.

Anybody else?

Brads70

I have QA1's but the double adjustable versions.  I did see the ad over on cc.com I REALLY like the double adjustable feature. You can dial it in for the autocross or for a smooth ride cruising.
My Grandfather had a saying . It was regarding tools  but it applies to everything.
"If you can't afford to buy the best... then wait till you can"
If they are not exactly what you want then maybe use the shocks Cody suggests till you can?
If they were the adjustable version I'd buy them for spares, but they are not. 

Chryco Psycho

The other way to look at is try them if you do not like them you should be able to get what you paid back out of them

303 Mopar

I have Bilsteins on my Charger and had them on my '71 Challenger and love them!  I am running Hotchkis Fox shocks (adjustable front) on my '70 Cuda and like them too but they are much more of a road course type of shock meaning stiffer for better tight cornering.

I would say if you can get the QA1's for under $400 then do it.  Otherwise go Bilsteins  - http://p-s-t.com/i-23158007-bilstein-high-performance-shock-set-front-rear.html#!year%3D1970%7C%7Cmake%3DPLYMOUTH%7C%7Cmodel%3DBARRACUDA