Main Menu

QA1 single adjustable install question

Started by Skdmark, August 30, 2020, 01:24:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Skdmark

I'm installing QA1 single adjustable shocks on all 4 corners of my Barracuda. I should be all set on the fronts.

When installing the rears I noticed that there is about 1/4 inch of wiggle front to back between the shock and the cross member.
If I wear to torque the bolts to 70ft/lbs per the FSM I would be pinching the mount closed.

For those of you that have installed the rears, did you insert any shims/spacers on the upper mount?
If yes, what did you use?

TIA

Mark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Scooter

My single adjust QA1's are on a 74 Challenger .. but the install is probably similar.

Upper rear does have some play & I did not shim or torque it down to pinch the excess, just snugged the bolt tight.

Have not noticed any adverse effects.

Just checked the install today as I was doing some work on the rear exhaust and making adjustments to the shocks.

The upper mounts seem to bias to toward the front of the car on their own.

I'll keep checking to see if they are moving around or sticking toward the font.

GL

7212Mopar

The Hotchkis rear shock comes with washers that goes inside the Shock mounting frame to pick up space. No distortion when tighten the cross bolt. You should be able to find some washers that will work.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

dodj

I added ss washers to take up the slack.  3 per side i believe.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Scooter

^^^ Did you guys bias the washers front/rear or just take up the space evenly?

Skdmark

Thanks for the feedback.
My uppers also lean to the front.

In the bag of bushing sleeves supplied by QA1, they had some oddly shaped spacers in there. I assumed they were for use in a coil over application.
No mention of their purpose in the instruction sheet. I'm going to measure them up and see if they'll work. If not, I'll fabricate something.

Took the car out for a 10 mile spin today. What a difference new leaf springs and these shocks made.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

dodj

Quote from: Scooter on August 30, 2020, 08:10:11 PM
^^^ Did you guys bias the washers front/rear or just take up the space evenly?
For me, two washers toward the front, one to the rear.
Quote from: Skdmark on August 30, 2020, 08:59:57 PM
In the bag of bushing sleeves supplied by QA1, they had some oddly shaped spacers in there.
Ya, I wondered what they were for as well. Ended up tossing them.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

FSHTAIL

I was only able to get 1 spacer par upper on the rear, still has a hair of play..     
I can hear them a little bit, but I'm not too worried about it.. 

I used a tiny dab of superglue to hold the spacer onto the shock using the bolt to keep it aligned properly.   
I noticed I had more room on the drivers side vs the passengers side in terms of spacer..     

If I redo it..       more washers..      but still utilize a little dab of superglue..   
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Scooter

^^^ Did you use fender washers or just normal ones?

Skdmark

I wound up installing an 1/8" thick rubber washer on each side. Have less than 1/16" play now.
Found them in the hose bibb section of the hardware store for 0.99 cents each.
Still need to take it for spin and try it out.
-Harlan Ellison

FSHTAIL

Quote from: Scooter on September 14, 2020, 05:28:02 PM
^^^ Did you use fender washers or just normal ones?

Whatever I had kicking around..
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)