Main Menu

Quick releases

Started by dodj, April 01, 2021, 02:00:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

Looking at changing my steering wheel and one of the options I see to get the correct column length is a quick release.
Anybody know if there is any issue using a quick release on a street car?
Would be an interesting anti theft device as well...lol
:huh:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

JS29

There was an anti theft system That was around in the 70's that did just that.   :yes:

rikkitik

I used the Grant quick release (GRT-2001) for years with zero issues, (which might be the one JS29 is referring to). Shouldn't be much issue with any of them though, quick release wheels have been used in racing for years, including F1. I used the Grant for the same reason I think you're looking for, column length, I considered anti-theft as a side benefit.
For my Challenger, I found Flashpower Accessories makes a "crush can" adapter for e-bodies. One of those, plus a slightly dished replacement wheel, will move the steering wheel about 2" away from OEM location, which is about perfect reach for me.
I also bought a replacement turn signal lever to shorten and straighten a bit, to keep the wheel/lever relationship correct.
Not sure what direction you want to go, but here's the link for the "crush can" adapter. I'm going to use it with a Volante wheel. The bolt circles are the same between both companies. I have test fitted, but not mounted it yet.
https://www.flashpowerparts.com/dodge-plymouth/1352-chrysler-dodge-plymouth-steering-wheel-adapter-9-bolt-billet-polished.html

dodj

I was actually looking at the flashpower adapter. It's 2" shorter than stock. An NRG quick release would put the steering wheel I am looking at buying back to stock location...

Are you happy with the quality of the flashpower piece?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

rikkitik

I'm very happy with it's quality. I have test fit the adapter and wheel, all parts are of good quality, with excellent finish.
I haven't mounted them to the car yet, (I've been working on engine upgrades), but I think it will be fine.
It seemed that between Volante, and Flashpower, it might be possible to find a nice wheel with enough "dish" to get very close to stock location.
Good luck, whichever way you choose. 👍

anlauto

You may look odd walking into McDonalds with the wife and kids, carrying your steering wheel...........just sayin'......... :rofl:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

Quote from: rikkitik on April 10, 2021, 07:41:51 AM
I'm very happy with it's quality. I have test fit the adapter and wheel, all parts are of good quality, with excellent finish.
I haven't mounted them to the car yet, (I've been working on engine upgrades), but I think it will be fine.
It seemed that between Volante, and Flashpower, it might be possible to find a nice wheel with enough "dish" to get very close to stock location.
Good luck, whichever way you choose. 👍
I'm actually looking at an NRG wheel, and maybe a release depending on steering wheel adapter/wheel dish. The adapter I'm looking at is a 6 bolt with 70pcd - momo, sparco rather than the 9 of the volante, but if you are happy with the quality of the piece you have I'm willing to assume the quality of their other adapters is similar.
This one
https://www.flashpowerparts.com/chrysler-srt-imperial/122-chrysler-dodge-plymouth-steering-wheel-adapter-6-bolt-billet-black.html

rikkitik

I had looked at that one too, but I already had 9 bolt Volante wheel.
I bought a Volante adapter at the same time, but the adapter that arrived looked nothing like the pic on their site. Anyway, the Flashpower looks great, and Volante had no issues whatsoever with returning their adapter (they actually directed me to Flashpower, and would have gladly accepted a full return if I wanted).
I think both companies had 6 and 9 bolt wheel offerings, I just liked the Volante I picked, a bit more. Excellent finish on the wood rim.
To the "uninitiated", it might end up looking like the car came with it. Regardless, I like it.

MoparLeo

Make sure that you get a lot of practice of quickly putting it back in just in case of an emergency that requires you to jump in, attach the wheel and start the car in just a few seconds. Sometimes things can also work against you..
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

dodj

Quote from: MoparLeo on April 10, 2021, 11:33:40 AM
Make sure that you get a lot of practice of quickly putting it back in just in case of an emergency that requires you to jump in, attach the wheel and start the car in just a few seconds. Sometimes things can also work against you..
I understand what you're saying Leo, but the release would be more of a spacer to move the wheel back to stock location. The adapters out there don't come in stock height. So unless working under the dash or leaving the car at a mall or something, I likely won't be removing the wheel.
And to Alan's point, I agree, I'll leave it in the trunk while I run in for the burgers..lol