Main Menu

Random rear end paint prep questions

Started by nsmall, July 21, 2017, 05:43:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Does it matter which side the shackle goes on im pointing at in my first picture?  I took one off and didn't keep track of which side goes on the leaf spring if that makes sense?

I'm going to have my leaf springs sand blasted so would be okay if I just left them together as it seems like a hassle to pull it all apart and try to keep track of what goes where?

Do I need to keep track of which set leaf springs goes on which side of my axel?

Lastly I'm assuming I need another bracket to go around my leaf spring as it looks like I'm missing one set of brackets?

Thanks in advance

anlauto

The nuts always go on the outside. Your car is pretty custom, so it really won't matter. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

There's not a top or bottom to the shackle.  Either way will work just fine.  As for the leaf springs being right or left?  They should have a stamped number in them and that will tell you what side is left and what one is right.  Some E-Bodies use the same on each side and others have different ones for each.  Best to check the number.

RUNCHARGER

Yes: You should replace the missing spring clamp.
Sheldon

jimynick

Mine has an extra leaf on the right side, FWIW.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

nsmall

:thankyou:

What is this guy that I'm pointing at here?  It's on the driver side not on the passenger side.  I'd like to eliminate it if possible as it looks like it hasn't been used in about 30 or 40 years.

Thanks

ec_co

Quote from: nsmall on July 21, 2017, 10:31:16 PM
:thankyou:

What is this guy that I'm pointing at here?  It's on the driver side not on the passenger side.  I'd like to eliminate it if possible as it looks like it hasn't been used in about 30 or 40 years.

Thanks

rear sway bar mount.
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

lulurocks(Ken)

Should look like this  assembled my car is a drivers build so the paint colors etc are not (correct).

Cuda Cody

If you have the rear sway bar, use it.  They are nice to have.

RUNCHARGER

I would add the rear bar as well. Firm Feel makes a beautiful repro if you can't find a used one.
Sheldon

lulurocks(Ken)

Also ,

If you want to keep your same springs . Look up a local heavy duty truck spring and suspension shop.

All of them rebuild leaf spring and are pretty reasonable . And they have all the right liners pins clamps tools etc..

Just a thought

nsmall

Thanks guys.  @lulurocks(Ken)  @RUNCHARGER  Do either of you know if I have to use a special machine to put on the rear spring clamp?  I was thinking big pliers?

Thanks

Neil

lulurocks(Ken)

Depending what you buy you just c-clamp the leaf togeather with the new leaf spring clamp and hammer the ears over . The strap is to keep the leafs from moving side to side only. So you dont need to get the clamp gorilla tight .

Open this page :  scroll to the bottom he shows you how to clamp them

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm

You can buy hammer on leaf spring clamps on amazon , and the rivits.

RUNCHARGER

Sometimes pry it to get it hooked then hammer it over. The clamps can keep the leafs from fanning out as well.
Sheldon