Main Menu

Rear Drum Brake Build

Started by Shane Kelley, September 06, 2017, 08:52:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Shane Kelley

The purpose of this thread is for pointers and reference in rear drum brake overhaul. This was done on the extreme side for a customer build. I did completely restore the rear brakes but are not a concourse restoration with numbers and or markings. But a quality show car build for long term durability. You can use this for reference and pick and chose how far you want to go with yours. Top pic shows the tools that will make your life easier doing rear brakes. I recommend borrowing or buying if possible.

I have noticed on many cars that the rear drums are missing the self adjusters and usually have springs in wrong holes. Just like this set here.

Some things to remember. Shorter brake shoe always goes to the front of the car and self adjuster is in the rear. The star wheel should push the shoes apart when the self adjuster arm catches a tooth and pulls the star wheel up. The slots on the backing plates are to adjust the shoes out after drums are installed. You just want the shoes dragging on the drums. Not holding them tight. So don't over do it adjusting these. A screw driver or special lever tool can be used to do this. Be sure and put some small grease dabs on backing plates where drums ride. That will keep them from squeaking when you apply the brakes. It also prevents backing plate wear. 

I cleaned, bead blasted and powder coated the backing plates. Installed a new hardware kit along with wheel cylinders and E brake cables. Painted the wheel cylinders cast finish to keep them from rusting.  I recommend new hardware kit, Shoes and wheel cylinders when rebuilding rear drum brakes along with turning or replacing drums. They will last a long time if done correctly.   

Shane Kelley

Rear brakes continued. Put the grease dabs where the red circles are.

Shane Kelley

Continued assembly.

Shane Kelley

Final adjustment.  Pics show where and how you adjust once your drums are installed on the vehicle. Once you have them properly adjusted install the rubber plugs.

Completed brake pictures are oriented Left (driver side) and Right (passenger side)

Hope this will help some of you guys wrenching on your Mopar!

Cuda Cody

:thankyou:   :clapping:  Very nice write up man!!!   :perfect10:  This is one of those things that almost anyone can do if they are just shown a few things.  And now you have shown anyone that wants to do it exactly how it's done.  Thank you so much for taking the time to share this.   :worship:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shane Kelley

Quote from: anlauto on September 06, 2017, 09:19:47 AM
Excellent pictures :worship:
Thanks guys.  You can never have to many pictures.  :takepicture: I just hope I covered everything. :thinking:

headejm

Rev-It-Up

Wow!  Great job!  I could have used some of these pics about 3 months ago!   :bravo:
Rev-It-Up

ec_co

perfect write up, this should be be pinned
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

303 Mopar

Nice detail and pics!  Yet another very valuable piece to add to this awesome forum!!!   :banana:

750-h2

EB3-GranCoupe

Excellent!  I will be doing this on my next project, and having these pics for reference is priceless!

Thank you,
great photos and work looks great, backing plate really cleaned up, thought it was new.

340challconvert

Just about to do my rear brakes.
Thanks for posting.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible