Main Menu

Rear Drum Brake Build

Started by Shane Kelley, September 06, 2017, 08:52:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

Adding pic of "Wavy washer" installed under "c" clip.

CudaS0383

Thanks very much for posting these detailed pictures.  They will help me a lot since I have never done a brake job.  I have had my car for 6 months and with 61K miles on it want to replace my brakes over the winter.  My '70 Cuda came with heavy duty 11" power drum brakes on all fours.  I see that you are rebuilding the brakes with the backing plate removed which allowed you to clean and powder coat it.  Not sure what mine looks like but would like to be able to do that as well, however I can't find any info on this site or on line regarding how to remove the brake backing plates.  Do you have any info or pictures that show that? 

Thanks!

RUNCHARGER

You have to unbolt the axle retainer plates and pull the axles out, then the backing plates off. It is a good time to relube the axle bearings as well.
Sheldon

Floyd

Thanks Shane, and all others contributors.  I was getting a little intimidated about this job until I found this post.  I did find one minor thing with regard to the anti-rattle springs.  The FSM spends some time highlighting how to orient the springs.  I'm not sure how big a difference it will make, but I think they should be like this, at least for 11" rears.

Pics 1+2 = Left side
Pics 3+4 = Right side

Mrbill426

Great series; definitely a nice reference... thanks :bigthumb:

MoparLeo

Just something minor. Make sure that the contact pads on the backing plate do not have grooves worn into the pads. If they do either file them smooth or if too deep weld and hand grind them back flat. Use a dab of Lithium or synthetic grease on the pads before installing the shoes.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

kawahonda

Interesting how the fronts don't have the anti rattle springs/bar. Wonder the rationale for that.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

MoparLeo

Proves my point about experience. The bar on the rear is the emergency brake actuator . E-brakes are only on the rear.

kawahonda

Quote from: MoparLeo on June 06, 2020, 06:12:39 PM
Proves my point about experience. The bar on the rear is the emergency brake actuator . E-brakes are only on the rear.

What's up with your power trips lately? Are you extremely bored and just want to come crap on threads?

You came on the distributor thread that I created (and solved) and absolutely are 100% wrong when it comes to rotor positioning on advance vs retarded timing. Where's your experience there? It's OK to own up to things, you know.

I KNOW the "parking" brake is in the rear. You can call it "emergency" brake if you want, too. Don't assume I didn't know that. When I see something called "anti-rattle spring", I think of normal operation of the drum, needing a spring to stop "rattle" tolerance noises during normal operation. That was my question. Sorry if it was more confusing by me saying "anti-rattle bar/spring", but my point was about the "anti-rattle" part. I suppose since the additional linkage is there for the parking break, a spring is needed to keep it stable while the rest is performing the normal operation. Maybe that's the reason.

You do great work on hinges. I go out of my way (use search function) to have recommended you a few times. But lose the power trip. This is not the a-bodies forum.

KILLER thread by the way, don't mind our bickering. MoparLeo has it out for me.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

MoparLeo

I am definitely not a tune-up guy and I think I corrected that thread. I thought( assumed) that you were looking at the picture of the spring, that is attached to the bar. My mistake.  The real emergency brakes had a handle to pull on so you could regulate the braking force. Remember or not, that brake systems only used a single line/single bowl master cylinder until the late sixties. Any loss of fluid was a complete brake failure. Modern systems are redundant. you only lose 1/2 the brake system if you have a hydraulic failure of a hose, caliper, wheel cylinder etc... The Parking brake is even labeled "Parking Brake" go look at one.

BAM

Hello guys,

Can someone please tell me how this this backing plate called? I'm trying to locate those and order but apparently there is no reproduction out there. Maybe some of you are able to help locating a pair of this plates? I believe they are called anchor plates but I'm not sure about it

Dakota

BAM - are you looking for just the small plate with a post where the springs mount, or do you want the entire backing plate for the rear drum?    There are multiple sources for the entire plate including the United State version of eBay.   I can not find the small plate for sale separately.

BAM

Quote from: Dakota on February 28, 2022, 02:36:06 AM
BAM - are you looking for just the small plate with a post where the springs mount, or do you want the entire backing plate for the rear drum?    There are multiple sources for the entire plate including the United State version of eBay.   I can not find the small plate for sale separately.

I was looking at the small plate only. I already bought the whole backing plate and everything else. This small plate is impossible to find for some reason

Mrbill426

This Dorman plate may work.  Napa sells them too as # 6751547

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-13896?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAiAgvKQBhBbEiwAaPQw3CKyHl2YJBpkneuI-d8mJe68XEUt86B-LCdtJQoKUnqWdLUUEn4xrhoCbcMQAvD_BwE

Quote from: BAM on February 28, 2022, 05:58:04 AM

I was looking at the small plate only. I already bought the whole backing plate and everything else. This small plate is impossible to find for some reason

anlauto

Quote from: BAM on February 28, 2022, 05:58:04 AM

You guys seem very creative over there and handy with your hands...it's likely something that you could make pretty quick in my opinion  :twothumbsup::alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration