Main Menu

Rear Shock Access

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, September 15, 2019, 01:50:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

How easy is it to swap in new rear shocks with the original mufflers in place? Mine are wasted but it looks like swapping them out will be quite a chore. I know there are plugs in the trunk but they look like they wouldn't provide much access to the back of the nut.

Katfish

I remember fighting mine for several hours.
Seem to remember I could only get an small movement on the wrench before repositioning.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: Katfish on September 15, 2019, 01:58:50 PM
I remember fighting mine for several hours.
Seem to remember I could only get an small movement on the wrench before repositioning.

Sounds like fun! It's for my RT which I was going to sell. I may just disclose it to the buyer and let them fight it. I have plenty of things to spend my time on getting it ready for sale.

Jay Bee

I haven't done this in decades but IIRC I put the wrench through the access hole and was able to ratchet the bolt from the back of the car. After a slight turn on the ratchet the wrench jammed up against the opening so there was no need for another set of hands.

bc3j

Just did mine. Just held the wrench inside the trunk hole while a ratchet was used underneath just like what was said. Actually pretty easy.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: bc3j on September 15, 2019, 07:11:30 PM
Just did mine. Just held the wrench inside the trunk hole while a ratchet was used underneath just like what was said. Actually pretty easy.

Maybe I'll give it a shot then. If it turns out to be too much trouble, I'll just throw the new ones into the deal and let the new owner do it.

dodj

Really depends on the condition of the shock bolt. Can be easy or....
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

1 Wild R/T

As others have said wrench in the trunk to hold the nut, ratchet from underneath to turn the bolt... You want it easy? Use an air ratchet.....