Main Menu

Rear Shock Mount Plate Threads

Started by nicka, February 18, 2021, 08:48:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nicka

Noticed the threads are worn on one of the shock mount plate from my '71 Barracuda 8 3/4 rear.  I did a quick internet search and didn't find any vendors making original ones. I did find new ones, but they don't look anything like the originals.  Wondering if this if fixable?  I could cut/tap using threads from a u bolt? Is this piece pressed fit?  If so, maybe purchase a new one where the bolt/threads match?
Any thoughts?

anlauto

Do you have a welder, or someone that can weld for you ?
Sylvain makes reproductions of the complete stud that gets welded in.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/CUDA-CHALLENGER-GTX-CHARGER-CORONET-REAR-AXLE-8-75-SHOCK-MOUNT-BRACKET-NEW-STUD/202568139884?hash=item2f2a00846c:g:jyEAAOSwm-FcP5yg  That's CDN dollars :alan2cents:

You're almost better off just locating another plate, they are not that hard to find.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7212Mopar

One of my plate got stripped thread. I removed all the rust and wire wheel it clean good then welded the threads up good. Then I slowly file back to a rough diameter and then cut the threads back. I use the longer spring U bolt nuts for mounting the shocks for added safety. So far working fine and no problem at all.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

nicka

Cool.  We have options.  I think I'll try and repair.  I've got a Miller 211.  If I'm not happy with the results, I'll either order a new stud or wait for Carlisle.

Thanks all.

gzig5

The stud on one of mine was broken when I got the car.  Shock was loosely held on by a 3/8" bolt and bunch of washers.  :Thud:
I bored out the remnants, turned a new pin on the lathe, and welded it in.  Works perfectly and I'm quite pleased with the results. You can sometimes find original plates for sale in good shape but it isn't a hard fix if you like to do that sort of thing.

RUNCHARGER

The nut pretty much just holds the shock in place, not much force on it. I would buck the stud off at the end and weld a new bolt head on and then buck off the hex and non threaded part of the bolt. Grind the stud and bolt to almost a point where you mate them before welding.
Sheldon

oldmoparbuff

I repaired mine by cutting and welding a Doorman replacement shock stud to the mount.
Doorman P/N 31001.

Cudajason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

oldmoparbuff

Anyone runs across this thread in the future here is another option.

https://www.manciniracing.com/mopr1856346a.html

$129.99/set authentically licensed restoration product to boot.