Main Menu

Rear shock recomendations

Started by drew43a, June 05, 2020, 03:09:43 AM

Previous topic Next topic

drew43a

I currently have some old air shock that were on the car when i bought it. pretty much shot now, have no idea of there age.  Was looking for advice as to but new air shocks back on or just a good set of non air shock?  and any manufacturers that might be better then others.  I saw a utube video where a guy used Bilstien, never heard of it before.
Hopefully i wont get to many suggestions here and just get more confused. lol  Oh  my car is a 70 Cuda 340 4 speed car.  thanks for any help.

Brads70

For a stock type cruiser I'd recommend the Bilsteins RCD shocks . Air shocks will damage the upper crossmember. Check yours out? 

drew43a

cudamadd

Just replaced my front ones with a set from Gabriel,Monroe,kyb, there are lots just your personal choice nice set of gas ones

Katfish

Check out RockAuto, several choices, great prices, KYB has a rebate going now.

RUNCHARGER

I second giving your shock crossmember a lookover for cracks or tears.
Sheldon

JS29

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 05, 2020, 07:30:48 AM
I second giving your shock crossmember a lookover for cracks or tears.
:iagree:

Burdar

It's very possible that the air shocks were installed to fix a sagging spring issue.  These cars sat low from the factory anyway.  Don't be surprised if the back end sits lower then you'd like once the air shocks are removed.  You may be replacing the springs too.

dodj

Quote from: Burdar on June 05, 2020, 08:03:07 AM
It's very possible that the air shocks were installed to fix a sagging spring issue.  These cars sat low from the factory anyway. 
:iagree:
When I got my car it had air shocks and about 6" long shackles. They were too big for the valance so the previous owner stashed the valance behind the shed and ran the car without one for years.  ::)
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Skid Row

THE ZUKE

I changed my KYBs with adjustable Hotchkiss shocks and Hotchkiss sway bar. The same mount on the front and the car is like a rail. ;)

MoparLeo

Many people beleive hat the shocks are supporting weight and will affect the height of the car. Only air bags , airshocks or spring assisted shocks do. Shock absorbers are realy just spring dampers. They control jounce and rebound.Primary function is to keep the tire in contact with the road. Not to hop when hitting a bump. The major shock absorber manufacturers of the day were Monroe, Gabriel (Maremont) US manufacturers. The major foreign mfgs were, Koni, Bilstein, KYB There were others but these were the most well know and most were OE on many cars. I have used the standard KYB Gas-A-Just on my E-bodies for over 40 years and they have served me well for normal driving. They are one of the most economically priced as well.They do not ride hard but they are firmer than the original hydraulic shocks.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...