Main Menu

Rear Springs for Challenger

Started by erik70rt, May 27, 2017, 09:25:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

JS29

True any time you change the height, so first things first get it setting where you like it. :wrenching:

erik70rt

The picture may be a little misleading, but it sits with the rockers level now.  I took it for a test ride and I like the way it felt as compared to the stiffness it had.  I don't think I need to drop the front end at all - but it needed an alignment before I messed with it so I'll need to go do that.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

MoparJunkie

I believe it can take some time for your new springs to settle too. So before you go getting an alignment I would just drive it around a bit let it settle, adjust it if needed then alignment.

I'm thinking if I go with ESPO I might go with +2. Need room for tires lol

GrandpaKevin

Here is a pic of my Challenger after I installed new MP XHD springs....it might be correct for stock height with short 14" wheels but waaay to low for me.

I didn't even drive the car, I removed the springs and returned them, thankfully Summit Racing is only 30 minutes away.
I ended up going with a pair of driver's side Super Stock springs from an A body per Dr. Diff's recommendation.

MoparLeo

As I recall, back when they were new the rear sat down low.  Only the T/A and the AAR had the rear up.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

MoparJunkie

Quote from: GrandpaKevin on June 20, 2017, 05:04:56 PM
Here is a pic of my Challenger after I installed new MP XHD springs....it might be correct for stock height with short 14" wheels but waaay to low for me.

I didn't even drive the car, I removed the springs and returned them, thankfully Summit Racing is only 30 minutes away.
I ended up going with a pair of driver's side Super Stock springs from an A body per Dr. Diff's recommendation.

Aren't the superstock springs shorter than the e-body springs? I might do this as well, just wondering what might be needed to get them to fit (I will also have a Dana 60 rear end from a B-body installed too).

Also did he explain why the driver side vs passenger springs? Post a pic of the super stock springs vs the xhd springs if you don't mind.

Chryco Psycho

SS springs are shorter but you can get the longer front mounts so they will bolt right in

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: MoparJunkie on June 20, 2017, 08:50:27 PM
Quote from: GrandpaKevin on June 20, 2017, 05:04:56 PM

Aren't the superstock springs shorter than the e-body springs? I might do this as well, just wondering what might be needed to get them to fit (I will also have a Dana 60 rear end from a B-body installed too).

Also did he explain why the driver side vs passenger springs? Post a pic of the super stock springs vs the xhd springs if you don't mind.

Yes all Super Stock springs have the shorter front segment.
You use longer front spring hangers specific for the SS springs, Dr. Diff sells the offset spring hanger kits for installing B body rear ends using both regular and SS springs.
(I recently installed a 1967 B body rear end in my wife's Challenger with ESPO's +1.5" springs using Dr. Diff's kit)

The driver's side SS spring is a little softer than the passenger(torque side).
These are the MP springs I used.
https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/dcc-3412003/overview/
The A body SS springs are made for a lighter vehicle and don't raise the rear of the car as high as the E body SS springs and gives a little softer ride, it probably doesn't hook as hard but that wasn't a priority.

Unfortunately like all MP springs mine have sagged just a bit but the front SS spring hangers have 2 holes for height adjustment, I'm currently using the lower setting so when I get a chance I might switch to the higher hole which I'm told raises the car about an inch.

I'm running fairly large tires tires on my Challenger, 245/60-15 on the fronts and 275/60-15 on the rear with 15x8 wheels on all 4 corners.
With that tire and wheel combo the car didn't look right sitting at stock ride height.
I wanted the car to sit just a wee bit higher than stock ride height using the bigger 15" tires.

Good luck.

Chryco Psycho

the higher hole will lower the car FYI

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 21, 2017, 07:27:11 AM
the higher hole will lower the car FYI

My mistake, I'm currently using the higher hole and plan to switch to the lower one.