Main Menu

brake adjuster cable length, 10" brakes

Started by mtull, October 22, 2023, 07:57:50 AM

Previous topic Next topic

mtull

Does anyone know the length for the self adjusting drum brake cables (end to end) for 10" brakes?  Are the cables for 9", 10" and 11" drum brakes the same length?  I wouldn't think they would all be the same length but don't want to assume.

Thank you.

mtull

10" brakes use part number: 3461663 and 11" brakes use 3461664.  I haven't found anything online regarding end to end length.  Perhaps a google skills issue    :notsure:

mtull

@Bullitt-

I thought I saw you responded but now I don't see your post.  Did I somehow remove it?  My apologies if I did?

Bullitt-

BAD error in 1st post 

oreilly lists 10" brake adjusting cable to be 8" long,  total Length (in): 11-7/16 Inch
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/brakebest-hardware-hydraulics/brakebest-brake-adjusting-cable/bhh0/h2108 

& 11" brake adjusting cable to be 9-1/4" long, total Length (in): 12-11/16 Inch
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/brakebest-hardware-hydraulics/brakebest-brake-adjusting-cable/bhh0/h2114/v/a/14530/automotive-car-1970-dodge-challenger?q=h2114&pos=0

edited to reflect most accurate info of total length
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Bullitt-

Quote from: mtull on October 22, 2023, 10:33:14 AM

Thank you.  I didn't think to check online stores.

A good place to start is Rockauto.com They often have specs listed under the better brands but in this case they at least identified the most common part #s used by several vendors giving me something to search for.
  My error was mistaking package length for product length...  :-[

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

mtull

benguin

Can't trust new ones either. Here's what was in a Raybestos kit last year.

Needless to say. I cleaned up my old ones.
  Ben

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

mtull

Thank you @benguin
Do you recall the length of your originals?  My originals are missing and was worried about the correct length.

benguin

My memory isn't what it used to be.  I'll see if I can pull a rear wheel tomorrow and check.  I was thinking that the shorter one could work- which is pretty close to the specs from Bullitt.

mtull

I don't want to cause you extra work.  Please don't take the wheel off just for the measurement.  The measurement would be helpful but I can wait if needed.

moreparts

You might want to check ePay.  I saw a listing for NOS ones with your part number for 10 bucks each.  Of course, no luck with the 11 inch version I was looking for.

EV2RTSE

I bought a 10" brake hardware kit from Richard Ehrenberg on eBay a while back,  these are the cables from it although they weren't in bags to confirm part #s.

benguin

From end to end, my old cables measure a bit over 11", same as EV2RTSE shows in his pics...

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

mtull

You guys are great!  Thank you for all the help!