Main Menu

Rear suspension

Started by 74CudaChief, June 20, 2017, 08:50:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

74CudaChief

I have been looking at the rear suspension thinking about something better than the leaf springs.

What are your thoughts on 4 or 5 link?

Is there anything else better?

What about coil overs for the rear?

I have looked at Hotchkis and QA1 but they don't seam to have a total kit for the E-body. Does anyone know of any manufactures that do?

I want to be able to adjust the ride height initially and change it in the future.

Should I just leave the stock stuff alone....
:dunno:
Mopar or No Car!  My Mopar: 74 Cuda (Under Construction).  Replacing: Both Rear quarters(1970), Rear Tail light panel, Package tray, LH Trunk extension, Roof, LH A-Pillar, Both Front quarters(1970).
Mods: US Car Tool Level 3 Chassis Stiffening Kit with mini-tubs.

Chryco Psycho

+ & -
the rear leafs do a good job but the adjustability of a coil over with double adjustable shocks & higher spring rtaes works BUT you must re-inforce the upper shock mount properly as the frame was never designed for that load .
Brad has done it differently & went to a composite leaf spring with a higher spring rate & double adjustable shocks & this works very well as I have ridden in the car .
Hotchkiss does offer a total suspension kit that works very well but the rear springs are very flat which is best for side load while cornering but sits tyoo low for most peoples taste , they do offer hollow sway bars which are very light as well

7212Mopar

XV Motor sports and Magnum Force
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

HP2

Alterkation and Control freaks are two more coil over providers in addition to the two above, although I don't think Magnumforce does rear suspension systems. XV certainly does.

Coil over systems are pricey for their initial purchase but will do what you want plus allow rate changes with relative ease and low cost after the initial cost of installation. Coil springs can be purchased for around $60 a pair. If this is something you think you will do regularly, then the high entry cost may be worth it. If you are a set it and forget it, then it may not be the best method.

Leafs do have a small range of adjustment for heights with various brackets, shackles, hangers, and blocks. Rate changes can be made, but are not as easily accomplished as they require disassembling the entire pack. Adjustable shocks can go along way towards controlling leaf motion and providing performance and comfort improvements. Really good shocks are expensive, but cost is the same whether used in a leaf or coil over system.

Which is best depends on your application. The XV 3 link is good for cornering and wide range articulation. Most 4 links like those from Comp Engineering tend to be drag race oriented with a wide range of adjustments for forward acceleration. This could be good or bad as it could lead you far down a path of mis-adjustment if you aren't familiar with them.  The Alterkation Triangulated four link is a design similar to that found under mid sized chevy products from the muscle era with the benefits and drawbacks of those types of systems. Control Freaks is a copy of the Alterkation designs done in round tube.

walt1800

Check out GERST SUSPENSION. There are a lot of good things being said about both his front and rear coil over suspensions. If you go with one for the rear let me know what you think as I will probably end up getting it for mine.

walt1800

I am thinking about going with Carl Gerst suspension on the front and rear of my 70 Challenger. I have talked with Carl and he is very helpful and just about always available to answer any questions you might have...rare these days. Is anyone using this suspension on an e body yet. If so what are your thoughts on the system?

303 Mopar

Quote from: walt1800 on December 23, 2018, 11:27:36 AM
I am thinking about going with Carl Gerst suspension on the front and rear of my 70 Challenger. I have talked with Carl and he is very helpful and just about always available to answer any questions you might have...rare these days. Is anyone using this suspension on an e body yet. If so what are your thoughts on the system?

Some info here - http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,119423.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=90821.0;all

Some guys love them, but if you are just planning a street car it may be overkill. I've read critical comments by Mopar Action magazine Editor Rick Ehrenberg: The outer tie rod attachment is a substandard method. The steering rack attaches the spindle with a deep spacer to minimize bump steer. Anyone with any sense knows that the best way to attach two members is directly with NO spacer. Wheels, pulleys, you name it. Spacers are a band-aid. Build it to fit with a proper spindle and the risk of failure diminishes dramatically. Good luck to those that own and enjoy these kits. I just do not see the benefits."

HP2

Really all depends on what you intended on using it for.

In 100 years, there have only been 4 effective methods of suspending a vehicle; leaf, coil, torsion, and air.  There are pluses and minuses to each and often the only real benefit of a completely redesigned system is the change in angles it provides through its range of motion. In this regard, they provide less of a benefit to a Mopar than they do to many Chevy or Ford designs of the era because Mopar's design was pretty far ahead of its time.

Primary benefits of a new coil over system; quick, easy, and cheap spring rate changes, marginally improved alignment angles, lighter weight, they look pretty. If you need or want any of these, they they will provide it.

walt1800

Thanks for the comments so far...they are appreciated. I am aware there are pros and cons for both the stock systems and the coil over systems. There are purists who say the stock setup is good if upgrades are made to overcome shortcomings but most are only marginally less in cost and they are composed of aftermarket parts which would render the car no longer original.  This argument will go on as long as there are E body out there.  What I am really looking for is opinions from anyone who has installed the gerst suspension on a Challenger.