Main Menu

Recommendations on coilovers

Started by jyotkc, October 22, 2021, 09:20:07 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jyotkc

Im thinking about getting front coilers for my 73 Challenger 318.
Any recommendations and or problems or concerns?
Thanks in advance

Cudajason

Quote from: jyotkc on October 22, 2021, 09:20:07 AM
Im thinking about getting front coilers for my 73 Challenger 318.
Any recommendations and or problems or concerns?
Thanks in advance

Coil overs are not a bolt in option.

Are you looking at a particular aftermarket front suspension set up?

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

anlauto

YES, it's important that you don't bolt "coil overs" to your factory shock tower, it was NOT designed for that kind of load :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

jyotkc

ok, i don't know much about coilovers. I did think you just put them on in place of the shocks. What all do i need to replace, The whole front suspension? And if so, any recommendations on what suspension to go with?

dodj

Quote from: jyotkc on October 25, 2021, 09:03:59 AM
ok, i don't know much about coilovers. I did think you just put them on in place of the shocks. What all do i need to replace, The whole front suspension? And if so, any recommendations on what suspension to go with?
If you are looking for a bit of ride height, in the front adjust your t-bars. In the rear, need to re-arch or replace leafs. If your car is bouncy, just replace the shocks in kind.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

jyotkc

Thanks for the tip DODJ.
What about for better cornering and handling?

HP2

At the top of this page is a very brief discussion of torsion bars vs coils.  In a more simplified answer, yes, to utilize coil overs requires you completely swap or re-engineer the suspension.  To swap out a pre-designed, bolt in coil over suspension system, I think the going rate is around $4000 per end, possibly higher. Its been a long time since I checked the prices.   https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/torsion-bars-vs-coil-springs/3777/15

For cornering and handling, all you need to do is step up spring rates and increase shock control, and then put tires under it capable of using that grip. All of this is possible with the stock suspension. In fact, Hotchkis offers a simple component replacement package that I believe is around $3500 total front and rear and you can add components as your budget allows. Or you can talk to the guys at Firm Feel and do a similar component level improvement a step, or multiple steps, at a time.

jyotkc

I just noticed that thread after i posted mine. Very Informative! I think i'll stay stock

DrEamer

I went ahead and looked at this, and aforementioned threads,  while doing research on doing to coilovers myself. My thought pretty much everyone's on the front end of the car. The torsion bars work well, allow for adjusting ride height on each side, and are a very durable. Where I depart is on the rear. Leaf springs can be improved on by going to a coilover set up. They allow for EASY ride height adjustment, spring rates are a simple change, plus pinion angles are an simple adjustment. The price is somewhat more at $2,000 to $2,400 including shocks for Gerst/QA1, or RMS setups. Now, it not something I would put a numbers car, but for a real driver, it is worth considering.     

HP2

I don't disagree with your list of positives, but how often are you changing ride height, spring rates, and pinion angle?  In my experience, often once these are set, they rarely change. Unless you have a competition car that runs on different tracks necessitating a differing set-up at each location, all that adjustability  goes un-utilized once you find  the spot where you want it.

Now, I'll also agree that getting a leaf spring set up to set and perform similarly will probably require 50% of the cash layout and more effort of a coil over conversion and will probably weigh more overall.

Brads70

I agree with what's been said, just though I'd throw in the composite leaf springs.
I'm pretty happy with mine and the QA1 double adjustable shocks.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/composite-rear-leaf-springs-on-an-e-body/59/msg353#msg353

When I first bought my car I had plans to cut off the front clip and build my own but between talking to Tony and the fact it was so nice and rust free I decided to work with what I had.  I'm very happy with the results! The stock platform can be made to work quite well with a few well thought out parts. Do some research on the Chrysler kit car program. ( basically a E-Body front end with some bolt on parts) They didn't ban them at race tracks  all over the country because they didn't work well....  Every time in motorsports when Mopar builds a better mouse trap, Ford and Chevy whine and get them banned or penalized so the others can keep up. :alan2cents:

https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/-using-c-body-spindles-on-an-e-body-and-a-body-lcas-and-viper-calipers/58/

With the now available parts from places like Firm Feel and Hotchkis etc... you can build a car that does handle pretty well without reinventing the wheel. In stock form they are horrible ! One of the worst handling/driving cars I have ever driven!