Main Menu

Removing bolts from a manual pedal support bracket

Started by bc3j, April 30, 2020, 10:37:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

bc3j

Over the past several years I've been acquiring parts to add power brakes to my 70 Challenger RT. I'm pondering whether or not I actually want to do it. The trouble spot for me is those two upper bolts on the manual pedal support bracket.

Can I:

Remove the pedal support bracket without major disassembly and deal with it outside the car,
Cut the back of the bolts off with a 90* head on a Dremel with a cutting wheel in the car,
Is there other removal options without causing additional problems,
I don't want to drive them out for fear of bending or damaging something,
or my option still on the table is stay manual.

I have no problems braking now, just thought about adding power brakes since I have the parts. I don't want to get into a major project just to add a booster. My goal was just a "simple"  bolt in project. Don't know if that'll actually be possible. It always seems that nothing is as easy as it looks.

anlauto

In the engine compartment, cut the two studs off and drill a hole straight through the remaining part of the stud. Start small and work your way up to maybe 11/32" - 3/8" so that the 5/16" studs of the brake booster will mount no problem. The stud is long enough you will still be able to get nuts on the inside :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

bc3j

Thanks. You always know.