Main Menu

replacing brake and fuel lines question

Started by gaddied, July 04, 2018, 09:24:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gaddied

How easy is it to replace all the brake and fuel lines in my 70 Cuda ?
Also who has the best lines ?

headejm

Really easy. I just replaced all of mine using Fine Lines (SStubes.com). They sell plain steel and SS lines. I went with the plain steel lines because I heard that they are easier to seal than the SS lines. Should be one or two discussions on here about this subject.

RUNCHARGER

If the car is assembled you sort of have to have the body lines bent in the middle and feed them into where they go from the center out with the car jacked up in the air. It's hard to explain but not really that hard to do. The fuel line is a bit tricky in the back.
Sheldon

gzig5

It's not bad.  I made a new fuel line from cupro-nickel tube, copying the original one for bends, and had it installed in less than 3 hours all in.  Bending took up about 80% of that.  Now that I have the t-shirt :headbang:, I'll be using pre-bent lines in the future.  Take pics of the original all the way along before you remove it to help with the alignment on install.

Rich G.

I agree it pretty easy. And I'd stay away from the stainless lines. You have to know if you have one line front to back on the brake line or is there a block on the frame rail up front. A few different setups depending on your brake combination. Get all new hold down clips while you're at it. They usually have deals at the show if you're going there next week.

72 Challenger

I bought pre-bent lines from inline tube. They were stainless.

Not a hard job at all, buying new mounting hardware is also key. The old ones are not worth saving.

People seem to hate the stainless, I love it. Way easier to keep clean and really the only difference when installing it is making sure the lines are seated. Sometimes this requires undoing and re-attaching the connections to ensure a good seal.
Someday I will have a J0b.

RUNCHARGER

I've had no issue with the stainless either, it just takes a bit more care with the fittings is all. Of course the steel ones will last just as long as the originals did.
Sheldon

headejm

Three reasons why I used the plain steel lines and not SS:

1. Factory original lines were plain steel and mine looked good even after 48 years. Not sure I even needed to change them.

2. The SS lines are significantly more $.

3. My brand new lines are now covered with brand new undercoating. LOL.

gzig5

Quote from: headejm on July 05, 2018, 09:32:39 AM

1. Factory original lines were plain steel and mine looked good even after 48 years. Not sure I even needed to change them.

I would only caution that if the car is going to sit for any length of time without running, plain steel lines are much more prone to corrosion than the other options.  Maybe Sta-bil would help, this modern gas with 10-15% ethanol only makes it worse.  My tank and fuel line were completely corroded on the inside, but looked fine on the outside.  Completely fouled the carb when it was started by the PO after years of sitting.  What you can't see, can hurt you.

gaddied

kawahonda

I just replaced my fuel lines. Classic Industries carries pre-bent steel or stainless. Good quality lines.

Took about 15 minutes to drop the entire fuel line.

Took about 2 hours to install the new. Keep in mind that includes tweak-bending the pre-bent lines to really get that "perfect" fit, having to re-seat things multiple times, etc.

Lower your right exhaust heat shield by loosening two bolts. It's kind of a must.

While your at it, get new hoses and get new fuel line mounting hardware.

Pretty easy job.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

jimynick

I used stainless on my car and learned a good trick to install them. Use some "never seize" behind the flare and in frt of the tube nut as it'll let you apply a wee bit more torque when seating them. I did have one seeper at the MC and it required removal and re-setting as well as cranking the bejeezus out of it to seal it finally. As mentioned, no rusting problems is worth the $ in my opinion.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"