Main Menu

Shocks: QA1 or Hotchkis?

Started by Archialfa, March 30, 2018, 08:31:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Archialfa

Quick question: QA1 or Hotchkis (Fox) shocks for 1970 Challenger? Both single adjustable.

The car will be driven on curvy European roads so I prefer adjustable shocks to be able to adjust them at will.

Experiences? Opinions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Plum Crazy 1970 Challenger 440 Magnum

shawge

I like my Viking shocks.  Double adjustable is all they sell.  Slightly more expensive than QA1 single adjustables but way less than their double adjustables.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Brads70

Depends on what your wanting to do handling wise, and what other parts you have selected. If you have for the most part stock suspension and wheels/tires than go for the lowest cost. If your just cruising on the road you will likely never adjust them once you get them set.  I have QA1 D/A and really like them. The sky is the limit when buying shocks, sort of like the old saying " going fast costs money. How fast do you want to go"  Your budget will be the biggest factor, along with current and future suspension upgrades? 

303 Mopar

:iagree:  I would recommend Bilsteins with a stock suspension/wheels/tires and cruising around.  I have Hotchkis on my Cuda because of some upgrades and 18' wheels and tires.  Very good responsive shocks.

Archialfa

Street cruising, no drag racing for me. The roads here are mostly mountain or seaside roads which means lots of curves. I'd like to avoid boat like behavior when going through bends so good shocks and suspension are a must.

The plan is to go with stock looking setup, but upgraded: Hotchkis TVS or QA1 system, Mopar performance torsion bars, sway bars front and back... Wheels 17" or 18", still have to make a decision there; probably Year One Magnums 17x8 all around (245/45) or 18" Torq Thrust II (245 front, 275 back).

I have some buddies coming over in a few weeks which is a great opportunity to get parts from the US without paying the local customs fee. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HP_Cuda

I will say I like my QA1's but don't downplay the Bilsteins as I was pleasantly surprised how well they handled on my other Cuda.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

7212Mopar

Consider reinforcing the K frame and box the LCAs. Hotchikis typically have sales once in awhile. I have a mixed bag of PST, QA1, Hotchikis and Moog parts on my 73 based on perceived values during shopping.  I figured a mixed bag is still better than stock for handling. TBs, FSB and shocks are Hotchikis and they are nice.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Archialfa

Quote from: 7212Mopar on March 30, 2018, 12:43:50 PM
Consider reinforcing the K frame and box the LCAs.

What does "box the LCAs mean"? Box them in what way?

QuoteHotchikis typically have sales once in awhile. I have a mixed bag of PST, QA1, Hotchikis and Moog parts on my 73 based on perceived values during shopping.  I figured a mixed bag is still better than stock for handling. TBs, FSB and shocks are Hotchikis and they are nice.

I'll probably end up with a mixed bag, too, since I can't afford to buy everything at once.

Brads70

Quote from: Archialfa on March 31, 2018, 10:23:39 AM
Quote from: 7212Mopar on March 30, 2018, 12:43:50 PM
Consider reinforcing the K frame and box the LCAs.

What does "box the LCAs mean"? Box them in what way?

QuoteHotchikis typically have sales once in awhile. I have a mixed bag of PST, QA1, Hotchikis and Moog parts on my 73 based on perceived values during shopping.  I figured a mixed bag is still better than stock for handling. TBs, FSB and shocks are Hotchikis and they are nice.

Great video explains it better than words....

I'll probably end up with a mixed bag, too, since I can't afford to buy everything at once.

Archialfa

I went with QA1 single-adjustable shocks. $647 at Summit incl. shipping to ID.  :driving: