Main Menu

Space Saver Spare tire question

Started by usraptor, January 16, 2020, 05:16:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

Did all the Space Saver Spare tires come with the L7CU silkscreen or was it hit and miss?  I don't remember my original 1970 'Cuda having it, but that was 50 years ago.   :huh: :thinking: :notsure:.  My current Cuda's SSS tire doesn't have it but it has been used so it would have worn off if it originally had it.  I know that stencils are available for the silkscreen, but don't know if it's worth the trouble and expense.  :dunno:

usraptor

67 views and nobody has an answer  :huh:  Anybody?

JH27N0B

My T/A which I bought over 40 years ago has a space saver, which I assume but don't know for sure is its original, and it didn't have anything stenciled on the tread.  I see that stencil on just about all restored cars and on some survivor cars space savers, but I am of the opinion it wasn't on 100% of space savers.

6Pack70

I believe the stencil was actually on the flat sheet of rubber before it was formed and vulcaized or whatever they did to make the tire.  That's possibly why it was truely hit or miss. I'm sure there was space between the stamp on the rubber sheets and it was not likely ever meant to be on every single tire.  Just my thoughts.

anlauto

I have two AAR's in my shop right now that have the original spares and neither one has those large markings. I would say it's hit or miss, but I am guilty of stenciling most of the ones I've restored. ;) I like a super light coat of "off white" I use SEM Super white.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Floyd

Here's a small sample size of examples.

First pic is the original from my May 71 SPD Challenger
Second pic is from a Green Go survivor T/A that was at the Nats about 10 years ago - Markings are very light and barely visible
Third Pic from a Plum Crazy survivor T/A taken at the Nats 7-8 years ago.  No visible markings
Fourth pic from Troy's T/A - Markings are very light but visible
Fifth pic from unknown e-body (I think it was a Trans Am car though)

usraptor

Thanks everybody.  Appreciate your insight.  :bravo: :clapping: :worship:

pink aar

I have a original spare and it's never been on the ground or mounted on a car. It doesn't have any white paint on it anywhere.