Main Menu

Space saver

Started by IRON MAN, October 31, 2017, 08:11:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

IRON MAN

This space saver 14" wheel/tire fits my 73 Challenger. Is it correct?

RUNCHARGER

Wrong size tire, that is an AMC wheel I believe. Others that know better will comment though.
Sheldon

anlauto

I don't think a collapsible spare even an option in 1973 ? Was it ? :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

340challconvert

Here's a pic of my original space saver spare from my 1970 A66 vert
Hope this helps on ID

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

fc7cuda

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on October 31, 2017, 08:41:56 PM
Wrong size tire, that is an AMC wheel I believe.

:iagree: The black pics above by 340Chally looks correct.  :alan2cents:

GY3R/T

Orange space saver is AMC.

340challconvert

The ebody collapse spares I have seen in addition to mine always had the white safety sticker and a white dab of paint  on the outside of the rim by a stud hole.

My size is 7:75-14 a BF Goodrich tire. My car came factory with the factory 15" rallye wheels.
I think the factory went to a different size for 71 e bodies-not sure?

anlauto

Stop showing off your extremely nice original part  :stop: :haha: :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

340challconvert

Yea, and both of them still are functional even after all these years! ;)

JH27N0B

Space savers were standard in E body convertibles.
That one is an early one, what is the SBD of your vert?  At some point during the '70 model year the designation on the sidewall changed from 7.78x14 to "F78X14 replaces 7.78x14".  My November built convertible has the early designation, though I don't know if it is original to my car.
They were standard in 15" wheel cars too.  My T/As space saver I'm pretty sure is original to the car.
It was built in April and the tire has the F78 designation.
I "built" a space saver for my '71 after I bought my '71.  I found a correct wheel, and after searching for a while I found a correct tire on eBay.  A friend of mine had a auto shop with a tire machine and volunteered to help me mount it.  We ended up wrestling with it for several hours, but finally got it mounted. It was no easy job!

340challconvert

Quote from: JH27N0B on November 02, 2017, 05:50:56 PM
Space savers were standard in E body convertibles.
That one is an early one, what is the SBD of your vert?  At some point during the '70 model year the designation on the sidewall changed from 7.78x14 to "F78X14 replaces 7.78x14".  My November built convertible has the early designation, though I don't know if it is original to my car.
They were standard in 15" wheel cars too.  My T/As space saver I'm pretty sure is original to the car.
It was built in April and the tire has the F78 designation.
I "built" a space saver for my '71 after I bought my '71.  I found a correct wheel, and after searching for a while I found a correct tire on eBay.  A friend of mine had a auto shop with a tire machine and volunteered to help me mount it.  We ended up wrestling with it for several hours, but finally got it mounted. It was no easy job!

My A66 Challenger has an A06-October 6. 1969 SBD. Has the early spare and original 340 decals on the hood.
Another interesting date code: my collapse spare has a date of:      L/9   9     17         = Sept 17, 1969

1ownr

'71 space saver

fc7cuda

Quote from: 1ownr on November 02, 2017, 08:09:11 PM
'71 space saver

Is that a 6 1/2" rim?  Was that a change from the 5.5 in 70?  :dunno:

340challconvert

What kind of valve is that on the 71 space saver spare?