Main Menu

Spare tire location

Started by Rich G., April 12, 2018, 07:07:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Rich G.

On a convertible Challenger with a space saver spare I see there are 2 locations for the hold down rod. Should it go closer to the back seat or the closer to the tail panel? Rather not find out the hard way that it breaks the glass when the top goes down! If it matters.

anlauto

It goes in the one closest to the front of the car. Have a look at your jack instruction decal (if you have one) :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda_mark

Quote from: anlauto on April 12, 2018, 07:36:03 AM
It goes in the one closest to the front of the car. Have a look at your jack instruction decal (if you have one) :alan2cents:

Can confirm.

Rich G.

And I just put that decal on. You'd  think I'd look at it! Thought it was just another pretty sticker. Thanks for the reply.

6bblgt

E-body convertible:
the forward location is for the STANDARD "space-saver" spare
&
the rear location is for the OPTIONAL in a convertible full-size spare (14" ONLY)

fc7cuda

What would have been the full size 14" spare tire size? Same if the car came with 15" rims?

Thanks

6bblgt

E-body convertible:

w/14" wheels/tires = 14" BFG space-saver spare STANDARD - full-size spare OPTIONAL, same size tire as on car
w/15" wheels/tires = 14" BFG space-saver spare STANDARD - NO OPTION available

CudaMoparRay

Still amazed at how much I do not know about our cars  :wrenching:

anlauto

I just learned me something new today.....

I never knew you could get a full size 14" spare in a convertible :thinking:...now I know :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

6bblgt

IMO none of these numbers are "written-in-stone", but here's the BALLPARK of tires & spares in 1970 Challenger R/T convertibles

from the US "Option & Accessory Report"  - off the top there are 100+(~10%) car's info unaccounted for (US-CANADA-EXPORT): 955 VS. 1070

when NEW - full size spare was more popular than 15" wheels/tires, my how things have changed  :dunno:

anlauto

That report really shows how rare having 15" wheels on a non-Hemi car really was.... ::)

Brads70

Is that a rare/hard to get part or is it used on another car also?  Good post.... always learning!
:bradsthumb:

fc7cuda

Quote from: fc7cuda on April 12, 2018, 10:29:26 AM
What would have been the full size 14" spare tire size? Same if the car came with 15" rims?

Thanks

Great chart!  so what was the tire size of the optional full size spare?

6bblgt

Quote from: fc7cuda on April 12, 2018, 05:03:52 PM
Quote from: fc7cuda on April 12, 2018, 10:29:26 AM

Thanks

Great chart!  so what was the tire size of the optional full size spare?

the full-size spare tire would be the same size/style as what is on the car - in the case of a '70 Challenger R/T - F70-14 RWL (T87)  or "white stripe" (T86) on a 14x5.5" or 14x6.0" wheel, matching the size of the wheels on the car but not the style in the case of "Rallye" (W21) or "Road" (W23) wheels.

there was no "full-size" spare available on an E-body with 15" wheels

fc7cuda