hot_post in Spare wheel in case of flat tire in Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering Author Topic: Spare wheel in case of flat tire  (Read 462 times)

Offline WCC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Leaning Tower of Power
  • Credits: 470
    • Share Post
xx in Spare wheel in case of flat tire in Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Spare wheel in case of flat tire
« on: October 10, 2018, 12:01:36 PM »
What do you guys use for a spare wheel in case if a flat tire? Do you just use the space saver? Given the value of them I was thinking of just getting a cheap spare or perhaps one of those tyre inflators that seals punctures as well.

Linkback: https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/spare-wheel-in-case-of-flat-tire/8730/

Offline Cudakiller70

• Six Pack
  • index in Spare wheel in case of flat tire in Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
  • Credits: 8690
    • Share Post
xx in Spare wheel in case of flat tire in Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Re: Spare wheel in case of flat tire
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 12:05:29 PM »
I use tire plugs the gooey fiber kind and a small air compressor others also carry a couple of cans of fix a flat.

Offline rebelyell

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Small Block
  • Credits: 1470
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 12:07:21 PM »
I've got a junkyard steelie full size spare. My car is also not even close to original.

A tire patch won't help you on a blowout or a sidewall puncture.

E-Bodies Cuda Challenger Message Forum

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 12:07:21 PM »

Offline Cudakiller70

• Six Pack
  • index in Spare wheel in case of flat tire in Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
  • Credits: 8690
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 12:10:33 PM »
Ooh I forgot also AAA and cell phone

Offline Floyd

• Leaning Tower of Power
  • Credits: 860
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 12:28:17 PM »
I have a spare 15x6.5 Rallye wheel with a decent left over used tire.  I usually throw that in the trunk if going for any distance.

Online 7212Mopar

• Big Block
  • Credits: 2610
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 12:30:39 PM »
Daily driven car, factory spare tire.
Weekend driven car, Challenger SRT8, factory air compressor and puncture repair kit. Spare wheel and tire at home storage.
Hardly driven (not by choice) 73 Challenger, full size spare that will fit 13" brake in the trunk. I plan to drive it a lot in the weekends if it ever get done.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Big Block
  • Credits: 460
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 01:29:29 PM »
I have a plug kit and compressor along with AAA. My rear tire height won’t fit in the trunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1969 Dodge Dart Custom - 318/904
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock - 360/727
2016 Subaru WRX - Tuned for E30 [98oct]

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 01:29:29 PM »

Offline Rich G.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Big Block
  • Credits: 660
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 02:07:02 PM »
I wouldn’t think the space saver would even work. I sure wouldn’t trust it. Another thought, how would you even change it. I can’t imagine using the bumper jack on my restored car!

Online 71-440

• Big Block
  • Credits: 2830
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 04:33:25 PM »
Tire plugs, fix a flat, air compressor.  And AAA.
Joe

19481820865_95c77794eb_b in Spare wheel in case of flat tire in Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Online mopar jack

• Small Block
  • Credits: 1320
    • Share Post
clip in Spare wheel in case of flat tire in Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 06:22:51 PM »
For my cuda and road runner I use a spare on a steel wheel that matches the rear tire diameter. Then I replace the jack with a ratchet jack that will fit under the rear diff or the frame, see attached. For my  SRT  Charger I rely on the pump, tire plugs, fix it goop and towing service. If  I take a long trip I throw a used tire carcass that came off my car, in the trunk. If I had a blow out I at least have a tire to install on the wheel other wise you would have to order a tire wait for delivery at least a day and then install. Miss the days when you pulled into a service station/garage and they would have tires, rad hoses, belts and tune up kits.

Offline Racer57

• Small Block
  • Credits: 1060
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 06:27:35 PM »
I have a spare 15x6.5 Rallye wheel with a decent left over used tire.  I usually throw that in the trunk if going for any distance.
I do the same, except mine is always in the trunk.

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 06:27:35 PM »

Online Katfish

• Big Block
  • Credits: 1240
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 07:45:03 PM »
I'm in the plug kit and compressor group.
Probably going to jinx myself, but when was the last time you actually had to change a tire or fix it on the road.  I don't think I ever had to.  Had plenty of nails or screw punctures to fix, but none that didn't give me enough warning that I couldn't do it at home.

Offline Brads70

• Six Pack
  • Credits: 9530
    • Share Post
clip in Spare wheel in case of flat tire in Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 04:35:47 AM »
I used a aluminum space saver spare from a ford ( crown vic or lincoln I'm told) machined out the center a little to fit a Mopar hub.

Offline Solarguy

• Leaning Tower of Power
  • Credits: 1120
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 04:57:29 AM »
I used a aluminum space saver spare from a ford ( crown vic or lincoln I'm told) machined out the center a little to fit a Mopar hub.

I have that same spare along with mini compressor, plug kit, small scissor jack and AAA

Offline Burdar

• Six Pack
  • Credits: 8060
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 07:47:46 AM »
Just last week my wife hit a pot hole in town and tore open the sidewall.  Luckily she was only two blocks from home and was able to get the car into the driveway while the tire still had some air in it.  I'll definitely be carrying that Ford spare when the Dart is done.  It should fit nicely in the spare tire well along with a patch kit and compressor.

On a side note, I called the city and left them a message about the pot hole.  Within two hours it was fixed.  :unbelievable: :bigthumb: Now that's service!
CHAL2 in Spare wheel in case of flat tire in Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension & SteeringOWEN in Spare wheel in case of flat tire in Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension & SteeringDART in Spare wheel in case of flat tire in Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 07:47:46 AM »

Tags:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter Share via whatsapp

xx
Spare tire

Started by pink aar

3 Replies
Last post August 02, 2018, 03:12:26 PM
by 6bblgt
clip
Spare tire location

Started by Rich G.

14 Replies
Last post April 13, 2018, 05:37:33 AM
by fc7cuda