Main Menu

Steering Column, Lower Detail

Started by VCODE, May 13, 2018, 04:14:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

VCODE

Looking for a detail picture of the lower section of a 1971 Cuda Steering Column. I know the 70 very well but not a 71. I know they are different but need to see it.
Bob

nsmall

@Shane Kelley do you copy?  Shane has pics and his is a 71.  Not sure if it's stock, but it looks great.

Shane Kelley

Here's what I have. Hope this helps.

VCODE

Shane,
Thank you so much. What I needed,the close up of the third picture. Is there any bearing inside of the white plastic bushing or does the shaft just need to be centered in the opening.
Bob

anlauto

Shaft just floats inside the bushing and should be centered when mounted in the car :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

VCODE

Quote from: anlauto on May 14, 2018, 12:53:37 PM
Shaft just floats inside the bushing and should be centered when mounted in the car :alan2cents:
Thanks Alan, I was not sure on a 71. I know 70's get centered inside the locking tube.
All the help is appreciated.
Bob

C_B5

Bob,

Not certain if this was done on the 71 columns but on the 1972 models (which use basically the same set-up as the 71 model),  To the best of my knowledge there's also a foam gasket inside that collar to keep dirt out of the lower tube and collecting onto the steering shaft.

When restoring the column, to replace it I just cut a piece out from foam and poistioned on before installing the collar.

nsmall

You folks are awesome.  What a great team.   :grouphug:

VCODE

Quote from: C_B5 on May 14, 2018, 07:02:37 PM
Bob,

Not certain if this was done on the 71 columns but on the 1972 models (which use basically the same set-up as the 71 model),  To the best of my knowledge there's also a foam gasket inside that collar to keep dirt out of the lower tube and collecting onto the steering shaft.

When restoring the column, to replace it I just cut a piece out from foam and poistioned on before installing the collar.
Chas, I know 70 got it on the lockout tube, but I don't know about 71 and up.
Thanks bob

VCODE

Listed as 71-73 so the black seal is not used on a 71.

anlauto

It doesn't hurt to put it in there :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shane Kelley

I can't remember if it originally had the seal or not. I can't see it in my pics. I did put one in when I rebuilt mine.

VCODE