Main Menu

steering coulmn install

Started by wimpy, March 23, 2020, 09:26:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

wimpy

How do you guy's reinstall the steering coupler to the steering box shaft? I had to use a prybar to remove it. I put a c-clamp on to try to get some leverage but so far only got it on half way.

Rich G.

There is only one slot the coupler will fit on. 1 spline is bigger on the box and coupler. Clean everything real good and it should slide on. Hard to see it but you have to find it and it's best to mark it so you know it's lined up right.

RUNCHARGER

Yes: The coupler has a fine notch filed in it that has to correspond with the master spline on the steering shaft. It should slide on by hand if everything is clean and the splines aren't burred up.
Sheldon

anlauto

Sheldon hit the nail on the head....have everything cleaned real nice, once lined up properly, you should be able to get it started and on most of the way by hand then maybe some light persuasion with a rubber mallet or something similar ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

wimpy

I see a space on the box where there are no splines but the coupler looks to have them all the way around. Would the coupler still be able to go half way on ?

anlauto

Quote from: wimpy on March 23, 2020, 10:49:28 AM
I see a space on the box where there are no splines but the coupler looks to have them all the way around. Would the coupler still be able to go half way on ?

The large blank area of the steering box shaft is where the split pin goes between the two spline sections.

On the spline itself is a "main spline" which is about 1/16 wide flat surface that will match up to the main spline in the coupler. (LOOK CLOSELY)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

wimpy

Ok i'll take another look, I would hope with the wheels heading straight forward an the steering wheel clocked correct it wouldn't be hard to see.

GrandpaKevin

The pin is removed correct?

wimpy

bc3j

Quote from: wimpy on March 23, 2020, 10:49:28 AM
I have an aftermarket coupler without a master spline. I took a 90* square over the pin hole at the rear that holds the shoes on and it aligns with the notch for the master spline on an OEM coupler. Since my aftermarket coupler does not have a notch I used the square to mark a substitute for the notch. Put a mark there and installed the coupler over the steering gear master spline. The coupler slid on without effort.   

wimpy

I was able to locate master spline on both pieces,but still not a slip on fit. Also the splines look a little boogered up, probably why the coupler needed to be pried off to start with. Any suggestions on how to clean them up?

RUNCHARGER

A thin points file, sometimes running a knife through will clean them up too. I've hammered a wood chisel through them to clean them as well.
Sheldon

JS29

A small V file comes to mind.  :alan2cents:

73_Cuda_4_Me

:iagree:

A 6-inch triangle file with fine cut worked for me...

For the cost, a set like this has been invaluable for fixing bolt threads, splines, and such..

https://www.harborfreight.com/needle-file-set-10-pc-69876.html
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

bc3j

Quote from: JS29 on March 25, 2020, 05:28:10 AM
A small V file comes to mind.  :alan2cents:
Do you think a small jewelers v type file would work? Maybe that type wouldn't have enough abrasive filing power for the couplers metal?