Main Menu

Steering Coupler Body - Does it get grease?

Started by BigmanjbMOPAR, January 14, 2021, 05:24:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

BigmanjbMOPAR

So my son and I are at the part of repairing the steering shaft, coupler etc preparing for the engine and trans install and of course the previous owner had done some things....after semi educating myself on some of the components of the steering column and coupler to the worm gear we discovered no only was there no roll pin in the coupler to the gear but the coupler body cap and clip were long gone only the partial rubber of the cap remained, and some one had welded an L bracket at the top of the shaft I guess to prevent it from pulling out? seemed pretty dangerous and I'm not letting my 18 year old drive it like that so....

Got the coupler off and all cleaned up got new parts on the way, I can see how it gets put together now however there was a shit ton of grease inside the coupler body is that normal? Is there supposed to be a certain amount of grease? I couldn't find anything in the service manual about it.
70 Cuda Project Purple Book

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

mopar jack

I recommend  installing a spring clip to hold the cap on and hold the parts together. If your column has been hammered on it will most likely have broken compression pins and the clip will keep the shaft from trying to pull apart.  see chrysler service bulletin attached:

Cuda Cody

BigmanjbMOPAR

Yes that is what I ordered, a new retainer cap and rubber seal along with the spring clip to hold it all down.

Also can I get just any roll pin from the hardware store that will fit in the hole? or do I need to order a special one?

Dakota

I don't think there's anything special about the roll pin other than the size, but I will defer to the experts here.   I've done exactly one rebuild on a column and coupler

I put this post in earlier as a warning of how not to do things on the coupler.   Hopefully, you already knew this, but just in case...

https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/how-not-to-do-it-shoe-orientation-in-steering-box-coupler/18952/msg242173#msg242173

Also, you can look forward to a bit of a wrestling match getting the external spring clip in place on the coupler.   I ended up scratching the crap out of fresh paint on the coupler in order to get the ends of the clip set into the openings on the roll pin.

mopar jack

Some kits come with a roll pin but a hardware store pin should work. The spring clip will keep the pin from moving. For ease of assembly I recommend you install  the roll pin in the coupler part way leaving enough clearance for the input shaft. These pins can be hard to start once the column is installed especially if motor is installed.

1 Wild R/T

There are actually two pins & both are important... There's the big roll pin that locks the coupler to the steering box & there is a very small solid pin that prevents the shoes sliding out of the coupler body.....

Jay Bee

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on January 14, 2021, 07:32:39 AM
There are actually two pins & both are important... There's the big roll pin that locks the coupler to the steering box & there is a very small solid pin that prevents the shoes sliding out of the coupler body.....

Exactly! I don't know why that PDF doesn't reference The "DOWEL PIN".

mopar jack

I suspect the dowel pin is one of the reasons for the bulletin. To service the coupling you have to drive the pin out. The pin is tapered, not a roll pin and most people will drive it down to remove. So most likely the hole would stretch and the pin would be loose.

mopar jack

Quote from: Jay Bee on January 14, 2021, 07:47:06 AM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on January 14, 2021, 07:32:39 AM

Exactly! I don't know why that PDF doesn't reference The "DOWEL PIN".
The dowel is referenced in step 7. If body has dowel pin hole near cover, drive in a new pin P/N 9431620 flush to the outer surface. This TSB was published pre E bodies.

Dodgem Doug

Cody has these videos on Youtube for disassembly and assembly of steering columns for e-bodies. I used them when I completed
the restoration of mine and they are great.

https://youtu.be/49L2sIR9OYc

Jay Bee

BigmanjbMOPAR

So I see the small pin in the coupler body not sure how I got the thing off while this pun was in position but it happend. Should I remove it and replace it after its back together or not bother with the new clip in place or do both?