Main Menu

Steering Coupler to New Reconditioned Power Steering Box

Started by Rossi, December 26, 2018, 02:46:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rossi

I'm having trouble reconnecting the Steering Coupler to the Rebuilt Power Steering Box that I just recieved back from exchange. I alligned the Wheels Straight and also found Center on the new power Steering box which is a little more than 1 and 1/2 turns. There is a notch in the Worm Shaft which when now at Center is at the Top. There is not a matching notch in the coupler to mate up with the missing teeth in the Worm Shaft.....is that normal? I didn't think to look at the Core of the Bad Box that I sent in to see if it had the same notch. I've tried to get this coupler on for 2 hours with no luck. A couple of teeth on the end of this refurbish worm shaft were a little damaged upon delivery but don't appear to be so bad to where It shouldn't go on. I know behind the Steering wheel the shaft and Crush can have matching male and female notches.....is it suppose to be that way for the Coupler and Power Steering Worm Shaft? Have I got a wrong part? 

Cuda Cody

:welcome: Welcome to the site @Rossi   :welcome:

Yes, there are splines that need to be aligned.  If the splines are damaged it could be stopping it.  There is a master spline notch that needs to be lined up too.  You can see it in your photo.

Cuda Cody

You have the pin (in the couple) removed, right?  Also, there are different couplings for manual vs power steering boxes.

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

RUNCHARGER

Correct: The roll pin has to be removed. There is a notch in the coupler that will align to the relief in the splines inside it. That notch will align with the relief in the splines of the input shaft of the steering box.
Sheldon

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on December 26, 2018, 04:39:19 PM
Correct: The roll pin has to be removed. There is a notch in the coupler that will align to the relief in the splines inside it. That notch will align with the relief in the splines of the input shaft of the steering box.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: Rossi on December 26, 2018, 02:46:25 PM
I'm having trouble reconnecting the Steering Coupler to the Rebuilt Power Steering Box that I just recieved back from exchange. I alligned the Wheels Straight and also found Center on the new power Steering box which is a little more than 1 and 1/2 turns. There is a notch in the Worm Shaft which when now at Center is at the Top. There is not a matching notch in the coupler to mate up with the missing teeth in the Worm Shaft.....is that normal? I didn't think to look at the Core of the Bad Box that I sent in to see if it had the same notch. I've tried to get this coupler on for 2 hours with no luck. A couple of teeth on the end of this refurbish worm shaft were a little damaged upon delivery but don't appear to be so bad to where It shouldn't go on. I know behind the Steering wheel the shaft and Crush can have matching male and female notches.....is it suppose to be that way for the Coupler and Power Steering Worm Shaft? Have I got a wrong part?

Don't worry about centering wheels or the box. It helps if one person remains by the engine compartment and guides the two parts together while the other person holds the column up to get the best angle. I find that if I (very lightly) push while I turn the steering wheel, I can kind of feel when it lines up. Obviously you want to check that the two parts are clean and burr free before getting it into the car.

Rossi

Ok got it. Yes the pin is out  I think my trouble is that I'm trying to bring the box to the coupler and not the Coupler to the box. I need to completely free up the steering column at this point so I am able to get a better angle and better leverage by pushing from the wheel like you suggested. When the Box went bad I just removed it leaving the Steering Column mostly bolted in place....only removing what was necessary to get enough travel to free up the box. .........The little notch in the Coupler is aligned with the relief in the Worm Shaft though the teeth in the Coupler don't look any different in that location....

Rossi

Yes the pin is out. The Coupler is a power steering coupler as it is the same one that was connected to my old PS Box. I guess I need to totally free up the column to be able to maneuver it better  when I disconnected the old box I just took enough bolts out of the column that allowed the box to get free of the coupler. Right now the Coupler is not bolted down and the column is mostly bolted in place and I'm trying to install it in reverse of how I took it off. I guess I should be bolting the Box in then completely unbolting the column and pushing the column onto the stationary Box....agree? Thing is when I look at the teeth in the Coupler there is not a matching void where the notch is. Do you have a Coupler that you can take a picture of the opening so I can see the close up of the teeth?  Can't find a good picture on the net. Also the column must have slipped up towards the interior because it needs to extend down towards the box more...I'm new at this so I'm learning as I go.

Cuda Cody

Be careful, the shaft of the steering column is designed to collapse in an accident.  If you push to hard on it the shaft will break free and collapse.

JS29

Quote from: Cuda Cody on December 27, 2018, 11:08:46 AM
Be careful, the shaft of the steering column is designed to collapse in an accident.  If you push to hard on it the shaft will break free and collapse.
:iagree:

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: Rossi on December 27, 2018, 10:40:01 AM
Yes the pin is out. The Coupler is a power steering coupler as it is the same one that was connected to my old PS Box. I guess I need to totally free up the column to be able to maneuver it better  when I disconnected the old box I just took enough bolts out of the column that allowed the box to get free of the coupler. Right now the Coupler is not bolted down and the column is mostly bolted in place and I'm trying to install it in reverse of how I took it off. I guess I should be bolting the Box in then completely unbolting the column and pushing the column onto the stationary Box....agree? Thing is when I look at the teeth in the Coupler there is not a matching void where the notch is. Do you have a Coupler that you can take a picture of the opening so I can see the close up of the teeth?  Can't find a good picture on the net. Also the column must have slipped up towards the interior because it needs to extend down towards the box more...I'm new at this so I'm learning as I go.

I do agree that it is much easier to have the column completely freed up so you can play with the angle and freely move it in and out. You need another person though. I don't have a spare coupler to photo for you but yours has it. It's small and hard to see. Cody is right about being gentle when you push but if you need force, you're probably not lined up right. I'd have the box bolted in and move the column to the box.

Might be easier to take the coupler off the steering shaft and put it on the steering box by hand just to confirm that the diameter is correct, no burrs, etc. once you get it lined up right, you could then use a marker to show alignment. I suppose at that point you could leave the coupler on the box and slide the column shaft back into the coupler afterward but then you get to try and line up the little shoes inside. You'd get to pack in fresh grease this way.

Rossi

All good advise thanks. I took it back out cause I'm worried that a few of the teeth are too fouled up. (See picture) This is what I got back from "Buy Auto Parts" Reconditioned Box. Let me know what you think of the 2 teeth in the picture. There are a couple more on the other side of the void that are like that as well. I was thinking about filing it but I don't want to make it worse and mess up my chance of them sending me another one

Cuda Cody

That doesn't look good.  :(  Might need to file with a thread file or better yet a small triangle or similar file.  Test fit the coupling out of the car to make sure it fits how it should.

JS29

Did you check back with the supplier, I would not touch it until I did. they may void the warranty otherwise.  :alan2cents: Makes me wonder about there quality control!