Main Menu

steering pump on a 71 340?

Started by MikeMikeMike, September 11, 2018, 12:14:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MikeMikeMike

I've read a lot of posts but there doesn't seem to be a clear definition of the steering pump on my particular application/ problem. Here's what I have:

Non AC car, 340, 71 year, cuda model, factory power steering

Original to the car: steering box with a very small (my friend says its a 1/4" JIC) pressure male - male fitting (all of the pressure lines I've tried on it slip right over the threads). I guess the fitting could have been changed over the years (the middle is narrower than most valve fittings I've seen) :notsure:

Later, I purchased a Saginaw with the oval filler neck (.94 I believe) and 3 spoke wheel and small block brackets. No cooler (I don't have the axle package). I bought this off ebay and rebuilt it.

Questions:
Were there cars like mine with the saginaw and 3 spoke installed by the factory? My research seemed to indicate yes but now here we are with the hose not fitting...
If Yes: what pressure line is required? Was there a factory installed adapter to go to the 1/4"? Is it as simple as swapping the 1/4" box fitting for a 5/16" or something?
If No: That would indicate I should go with a federal like my friend is suggesting. Would it have a solid or spoke pulley?

After pricing out the federal route, $230 for the pump unless I want to find a reservoir separate and rebuild, $75 for a small block bracket set, $75 for a pulley... then theres the pressure line...  :crying:
I'd much rather go with what I've got if its correct.

Thanks!
Mike
'71 Cuda Convertible 340
'71 International Harvester Scout II

anlauto

What's the fitting look like that is under that rubber hose your yellow arrow is pointing to ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MikeMikeMike

I was trying to find a picture of it but of corse, not a one. I was told its a 1/4" 37 degree JIC to 1/2 x 20 NF. Does that help?
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

Burdar

Katfish

I agree, get the hose you need then find a fitting to match.

MikeMikeMike

'71 Cuda Convertible 340

Rich G.

Is that picture the steering box? Why are there 2 hose clamps? Pressure line should screw right into the box with no adapter. What part number and brand are you using? Both my 340s had no issues.

anlauto

Thanks Darren for the RockAuto tip, I'm often looking for those fittings :ohyeah:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

QuoteWhy are there 2 hose clamps?

My guess is that there is a short length of hose between both ports...so the box doesn't leak all over the place.

RJChallenger

I've seen solid pulleys on small block and three arm on big blocks .That fitting, same thread base just larger flare size hose #. I put a big block pump in my challenger and had two change that very fitting in order to connect the hose. The guy at the hydraulic shop tossed it to me and said goodby

Chryco Psycho

the correct fitting is male to male & the hose has a female flare fitting on the end that will thread right onto the correct fitting in the box