Main Menu

Strut Rod Bushings

Started by Racer57, August 24, 2020, 12:13:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

My strut rod bushings are shot.  Is there any tricks for replacement ?   No one locally had them, so called Roseville and their otw.   :D   

Rich G.

I believe the only way is to remove the torsion bar and the lower control arm to get the strut rod out.

mopartaz

yes gotta remove the torsion bar and lower control arm, unless those new adjustable ones will fit without removing everything?

anlauto

Yup...bit of a job there....RockAuto always has Moog parts on hand as well, just in case Roseville did not  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Racer57

:pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair:

Gonna let alignment shop do it. He's worked on older cars before.

anlauto

Should consider LCA bushings at the same time :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Solarguy

The Moog ones also have an improved version with a metal snout and  :iagree: do the lower bushings at the same time

RUNCHARGER

Agreed: You have to pull everything out to get at the strut bushings anyway.
Sheldon

Racer57

Lower control arm bushings otw.   :D    Thanks for the tip.   

I never had REALLY looked hard at how the front suspension operates. I had just assumed a torsion bar was being used instead of a spring and that was about it.  Now, I see there's a lot more to it. Talked to a drag racing buddy, and he told me about a local mopar drag racer that when he launched, the right front suspension/tire was noticeably forward to give him a quicker ET. At least I think thats what he was telling me. He was getting too technical for me.   :D   

dodj

Well, if you're doing the lower control arm bushings, you will have to separate the lower ball joint..might want to have replacement boots if you are separating with a pickle fork.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Heck, you might as well do the lower ball joints as wel.... :rofl:  Where's the "snowball" emoji ?

Racer57

Is the lower control arm bushing pressed in ?

anlauto

floorit426

Quote from: anlauto on August 31, 2020, 07:58:30 AM
Where's the "snowball" emoji ?

Lol, that's a good one, for the suggestion box!

Racer57

Shop said it had been a long time since he had changed the lower control arm bushings and thought it would be a real SOB to do. Last night I did a check on Youtube for them, and he was right. Luckily they were in excellent shape and did not need replaced.  But strut rod bushings were totally shot and what was still there was rock hard.

After replacing the strut bushings he realigned, balanced the tires and checked rear brakes(front disk) and the measurement at all fender lips is 25". $325.00

Having done all that, plus me putting Bilstein shocks all around on, its unbelievable how nice the car rides now and the rear end does not want to wrap up. I hit every tar strip and pot hole I could and there's no rattles in the front at all. Just a nice smooth ride.

But there is a small rattle coming from the back of car thats now gonna haunt me. (hopefully something loose in trunk)    LOL.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions !!