Main Menu

Sub-Frame Connectors and Torque Boxs

Started by tparker, December 10, 2019, 06:47:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

A recent post was asking people to show their sub frame connectors and torque and at first I wondered if this was a family forum. Then after looking at the number of pics I started to wonder why so many people are doing this upgrade. I assumed it was generally done on high horsepower cars. Any one want to educate me on why I would want to do that even if I don't have a high torque motor.

Just curious
Tom

Chryco Psycho

The factory added Tq boxes on all HP cars , the converts had extra stiffening beams in the rockers too
Basically added stiffness is a bonus + the cars are 50 years old now & the original tighness of the unibody is not as good ,this help keep doors closing properly stops cracking at the lower corner of the rear 1/4 window etc

Burdar

I'm adding them because my car is convertible.  I'm adding bigger wheels/tires and brakes.  I'm using much larger torsion bars then stock too.  A convertible needs all the help it can get since it doesn't have a roof structure to help support it.  The subframe connectors should add a lot of strength to the car.

Even hardtops move around a lot compared to cars today.  I think there are very few reasons NOT to add them.  It should help the car feel a lot more stable on the road.  I didn't add them to my 73 Challenger because I was doing a stock restoration.  That car will never see any spirited driving by me.

303 Mopar

I added subframe connectors on all of my cars. Not only do the doors fit better but the windows seal better and the car feels much more solid.  Some of my cars are high HP, but some are not and I still think it makes a big improvement.  Although I do not have a numbers matching 1 of whatever car, so the mods I make are to improve performance.

tparker

Thanks. maybe another thing to add to the list. LOL. First I'm gonna get it running.