Main Menu

Subframe connectors

Started by nsmall, January 21, 2017, 11:09:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

I had a thread at c-c.com.  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=117634.15
Not sure if its taboo to bring up threads from c-c?

This is the plan.  Will buy these next week unless I am making a mistake....  http://www.manciniracing.com/maebo19.html  $99

Chrycho Psycho and Brad make their own, but I dont have time or the tools so Im thinking the above link is my best option to stiffen the old Cuda up some and not break the bank. 

Should I install them now or after the car is media blasted?

I was planning on having them welded in after I install them.

I was told (I will not share the source) that the Mopar Performance ones http://www.manciniracing.com/mopebod19.html are the same as the mancini ones but because Chrysler has their name attached to the Mopar Performance ones the price jumps to like $159 

Cuda Cody

You can bring up any CC thread you want.  The more information the better, we're all one big E-Body family.  Here's my take on sub-frame connectors.  For a non high dollar E-Bodies that will not sustain a major hit on price if modified, I think they are great.  There's three ways to do it.  Bolt in, Weld in or Custom made.  The bolt in is by far the easiest and cheapest way and they work great.  Wait until after it's blasted and epoxy primed.  If you want to weld the bolt in subframes that works good too.  The one thing you must account for is the E-Brake cable.  It wants to occupy the same space as the Subframe connector.  So plan to test fit the E-Brake with the Subframe connectors before going in to final paint.

With that said, I've made them from scratch and it will take a few days to get them perfect and looking like factory.  Probably not with the time for most.  But I'll share some photos on how I did it.  Maybe Brad has some more thoughts on this?

Cuda Cody

More Photos

nsmall

Wow, you are good!!!

No need to bother Brad.  I already quizzed him on this topic.  I am thinking the bolt on option with some welding will work best.

Thanks

cataclysm80

Wow, Nice work Cody!

What gauge steel is that?

Cuda Cody

I had a good teacher that really knew a lot about metal work.  The steel is the same gauge as the frame rails.  Drilling the holes after really sucked.  If I could change anything I would have drilled them first on the drill press.  With a power drill through that thick metal I about lost my arm a few times when the drill bit grabbed.

Brads70

Great work Cody, much better looking than mine.  :bradsthumb:
I made mine with Neils suggestion of 1 x 2" x 1/8" wall square tubing. I had the US Cartool ones but they were way off from matching the floor boards. Too much work I thought.
I found that by adding 3/4" tubing every 6-8"  really added a lot of torsional strength with very little weight. When I had the tubing fitted I clamped it down in my Bridgeport vise and with a large adjustable wrench was able to move it by twisting . I was surprised by that so I welded in the round tubing as mentioned above. I was pleasantly surprised how stiff that made it. I also did the same as Cody for the e-brake cable.

Cuda Cody

That's the first time I've seem tubing used to add strength.  Neat idea!

headejm

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 21, 2017, 11:24:52 PM
You can bring up any CC thread you want.  The more information the better, we're all one big E-Body family.  Here's my take on sub-frame connectors.  For a non high dollar E-Bodies that will not sustain a major hit on price if modified, I think they are great.  There's three ways to do it.  Bolt in, Weld in or Custom made.  The bolt in is by far the easiest and cheapest way and they work great.  Wait until after it's blasted and epoxy primed.  If you want to weld the bolt in subframes that works good too.  The one thing you must account for is the E-Brake cable.  It wants to occupy the same space as the Subframe connector.  So plan to test fit the E-Brake with the Subframe connectors before going in to final paint.

With that said, I've made them from scratch and it will take a few days to get them perfect and
looking like factory.  Probably not with the time for most.  But I'll share some photos on how I did it.  Maybe Brad has some more thoughts on this?

Great series of photos Cody! Awesome. I can envision an E-Bodies Restoration Guide Book using these photos and other ones you have shared. I'd buy the first one published!  :handshake:

Cuda Cody

Funny you would bring that up.  I was in talks with CarTech awhile back about writing the E-Body book and the 196 page limit plus the set limit of photos per How-To section was not something I would have been able to stick to.  Plus they wanted me to cover all years of E-Bodies to 70 to 74 and I don't know very much about the later year changes.  They said to write it and they will figure out the changes.  The contract was something like $3,000 up front with monthly or quarterly submission dates of chapters.  Then I get a small percentage of each sale.  Something like 12% of half the retail selling price.  So about 6% or a $1.20 per book sold.  They run about 4,000 (I think i'm remembering correctly) in the first run of copies.  The thought was flattering, but I'm not the right guy to write a book.  I'm better off (not financially  :looney: ) making little How-To videos and helping people on forums.  I get more reward from this site then I would have from a book and I get to learn stuff from others.  It's hard to beat a good forum.   :alan2cents:

Quote from: headejm on January 22, 2017, 09:51:04 AM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 21, 2017, 11:24:52 PM

With that said, I've made them from scratch and it will take a few days to get them perfect and
looking like factory.  Probably not with the time for most.  But I'll share some photos on how I did it.  Maybe Brad has some more thoughts on this?

Great series of photos Cody! Awesome. I can envision an E-Bodies Restoration Guide Book using these photos and other ones you have shared. I'd buy the first one published!  :handshake:

headejm

I'm fairly sure that publishing a book for the relatively small number of Mopar hobbyists would not be a money maker but it would be pretty cool to publish a book that breaks even financially. David Wise uses basic publishing techniques to publish his Restoration and Judging Guidelines Reference Manuals. Looks like he sort of prints to order using just loose pages. Not sure you need a publishing house with restrictive rules...Food for thought. :popcorn:

realn96

cody you are a mad man! beautiful work!  :bigthumb:

303 Mopar

@Cuda Cody  I would love to add subframe connectors to my '70, but with the AAR type side exhaust I am having a hard time figuring out how this would work.  If you get a chance to look at your T/A, how would you suggest installing these?

Cuda Cody

oh boy, that would be a little tricky.  That exhaust wants to be in the same location as the sub-frames.   :huh:  Maybe the best way would be to put your sub frames in then have an exhaust guy make custom piece from the muffler out the side? 

Quote from: 303 Mopar on January 30, 2017, 05:44:55 AM
@Cuda Cody  I would love to add subframe connectors to my '70, but with the AAR type side exhaust I am having a hard time figuring out how this would work.  If you get a chance to look at your T/A, how would you suggest installing these?

Timbbuc2

:bradsthumb: That is very impressive , Vey nice work @Cuda Cody , I see many great ideas and work you all of you guys,Very Good :wrenching:
Get in, I'll drive