Main Menu

Swaybar mod for QA1 Crossmember equipped vehicles..

Started by FSHTAIL, September 14, 2020, 07:42:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HP2

Mcmaster-Carr has raw stock, fasteners, and a whole lot more at reasonable prices for one stop shopping.

https://www.mcmaster.com/

ledphoot

Quote from: HP2 on October 18, 2021, 10:51:33 AM
Mcmaster-Carr has raw stock, fasteners, and a whole lot more at reasonable prices for one stop shopping.

https://www.mcmaster.com/

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this resource, much appreciated.

dodj

Quote from: ledphoot on October 15, 2021, 07:41:22 AM
7075 aluminum for $20 shipped off of eBay.
Without being a metallurgist, how do you know which alloy numbers are ones you want?  :dunno:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Shane Kelley

Links have a 1' spacer and the bolts are 5" x 3/8.

HP2

Quote from: dodj on October 20, 2021, 05:41:03 AM
Without being a metallurgist, how do you know which alloy numbers are ones you want?  :dunno:

Not sure how others arrived at their decision but the McMaster link I provided does give an overview of the various materials they sell and the applications they are used in and suited for.

ledphoot

Quote from: Shane Kelley on October 20, 2021, 05:53:24 AM
Links have a 1' spacer and the bolts are 5" x 3/8.

Beautiful THANK YOU.. :) You guys have made this so much easier for me I owe you some beer :) :drinkingbud:

dodj

Quote from: HP2 on October 20, 2021, 05:57:53 AM
Not sure how others arrived at their decision but the McMaster link I provided does give an overview of the various materials they sell and the applications they are used in and suited for.
Thanks HP2, I missed that post. Very informative site.  :bigthumb:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

ledphoot

Quote from: dodj on October 20, 2021, 05:41:03 AM

I chose 7075 because as far as aluminum goes it extremely tough / durable and corrosion resistant, especially if you have it type 3 anodized or cerakoted. I have used 7075 to make things that take much more abuse than this sway bar spacer will ever see. You could probably use 6061 for this application, but I chose to overdo it as usual.

FSHTAIL

I used the OEM fitment end links for the bar and with the bar flipped on the crossmember, it sits perfectly level with the ground..

As for what grade of aluminum I used, it was a metrology true surface block I had kicking around from the machine shop days.

I cut the block so that the anodized gold looked good and matched the QA1 strut rods..    :)   
Drill press with lots of cutting oil and a sharp bit..         Wasn't fun, but I only had to make 2 of them    :)

I figured I'd share this mod because I'm sure I wasn't the only fellah thinking these swaybars sit WAY too close to the ground..   
Now the lowest part is just the Hooker Pro Comps     ;)     
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

ledphoot

Quote from: Chris D. on October 21, 2021, 07:30:24 PM
I used the OEM fitment end links for the bar and with the bar flipped on the crossmember, it sits perfectly level with the ground..

As for what grade of aluminum I used, it was a metrology true surface block I had kicking around from the machine shop days.

I cut the block so that the anodized gold looked good and matched the QA1 strut rods..    :)   
Drill press with lots of cutting oil and a sharp bit..         Wasn't fun, but I only had to make 2 of them    :)

I figured I'd share this mod because I'm sure I wasn't the only fellah thinking these swaybars sit WAY too close to the ground..   

No doubt, gaining an extra couple inches of clearance is very much appreciated. No point building a nice ride only to bang things up or damage them because the roads / driveways / speed bumps are a bunch of crap around here.

I got my 7075 in the mail today... Hopefully I will have some time to work on this over the weekend.

FSHTAIL

Are you making a few of these?

At the time, I didn't have any sxcess material, I sure got asked a lot to make these for others.. 
Limited market, but every Mopar, A, B, E has this same situation. 

Quote from: ledphoot on October 21, 2021, 09:28:42 PM
Quote from: Chris D. on October 21, 2021, 07:30:24 PM

No doubt, gaining an extra couple inches of clearance is very much appreciated. No point building a nice ride only to bang things up or damage them because the roads / driveways / speed bumps are a bunch of crap around here.

I got my 7075 in the mail today... Hopefully I will have some time to work on this over the weekend.

ledphoot

I wasn't planning on it, I bought a single foot of 7075 so I could technically make three of the spacers. I am terribly slow at making this kind of stuff and OCD as hell. Let's see how hard it is to drill through this 7075 on my drill press. I may be able to make some more but I am not making any promises.

7212Mopar

I think someone should let QA1 know so that they can include the blocks for mounting the sway bar the correct way. Just does not look right hanging so low.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

FSHTAIL

Quote from: 7212Mopar on November 06, 2021, 09:15:55 AM
I think someone should let QA1 know so that they can include the blocks for mounting the sway bar the correct way. Just does not look right hanging so low.

Sent them Pictures, nothing