Main Menu

Tips/Products for Durable Paint Finish on Brake Master Cylinder???

Started by DeathProofCuda, July 23, 2023, 11:28:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

DeathProofCuda

Other than switching from DOT 3 to DOT 5 brake fluid, does anyone have tips or product recommendations for reapplying a durable black painted finish to my 70 power disc brake master cylinder?

R/T's 4 R/P

For a power brake assembly the master cylinder is also black...
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

JH27N0B

I'm not sure of anything that is very durable when exposed to brake fluid.
Over the years when I've restored master cylinders I've just used semi gloss Rustoleum paint.  And when I've installed them I've been very careful to wipe off any brake fluid that drips as I fill and pre bleed it and install on the car.
Then I keep an eye on it, if there are any signs of leakage at the cap try to fix.  And quickly touch up any areas where paint starts to curdle.
I don't know if anyone has ever tried to powder coat a master cylinder, and if so, does powder coating resist being damaged by brake fluid?

anlauto

Maybe powder coat ? I don't know, I use Dot 5 on all my builds :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rdchallenger

2 stupid questions... were they black or bare metal from the factory? And would Por-15 with a foam brush hold up to the brake fluid, that junk is pretty durable.

JH27N0B

The disc brake master Mopar cylinders were painted black at least through 1970.
Drum brake master cylinders seem to have been bare metal.
From 71 on they appear to have been coated with some sort of gray parkerized coating.
The Bendix master cylinders for GM and Ford I've looked at were black E coated. I've also seen mid to late 70s Mopar masters that were E coated black.
I'd be really interested in seeing Bendix documentation as to why these were supplied with so much variation in exterior coatings depending on which of the big 3 they were supplying and year.

JH27N0B

Here is the master cylinder on my convertible which gets driven often every show and cruise season.  I rebuilt it over 10 years ago.  I think the casting but not the cap might have gotten repainted 5 or 6 years ago when I had some work done on the car including the brake system cleaned up and the brake line routed across the firewall replaced while the engine was out.  As you can see it is holding out quite well.

PLY474

Change to a modern master cylinder from Dr Diff??   :dunno:

DeathProofCuda

Thanks for all of the replies.  :cheers:

I will probably just try to touch up my rattle can black finish for now.  Although the last time I painted it, the paint on the cap chipped off the first time that I flipped the wire bail over top to seal it.  :bricks:

I haven't tried it yet, but have heard of others improving the durability of Rustoleum and similar paints by adding hardener or just baking freshly painted parts in an oven, but I have no idea if that would improve a paint's resistance to DOT 3 brake fluid.  :dunno: 

There are also lots of specialty caliper paints out there now, but I' believe they're are formulated to be resistant to brake dust only, not brake fluid.