Main Menu

Tire Fitment

Started by 303 Mopar, August 18, 2017, 09:36:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

Rich G.

Good info, I'll have to save that article.

Burdar

Just a couple things I took away from the article...

QuoteCaster adjustments affect how far the tire tips in or tips out in harsh cornering, so be sure to have your suspension aligned before measurements are taken.

If you are building a new car and have aftermarket suspension components, you are going to have to assemble the car and have it aligned before you can measure for wheels.  In my case, this means having the car assembled and aligned BEFORE the body is even painted. If a fender needs to be massaged, I don't want to do that on fresh paint.

QuoteIdeally, you want to allow one inch on each side of the rim for sidewall bulge, especially if you are using moderately sized wheels and 70-series or taller tires. Low profile tires on large diameter where do not require so much sidewall allowance, but you still need to allow for suspension flex.

QuoteWe like to allow 1/2-inch for flex,

This is much more critical on old school wheel/tire sizes.  A low profile tire isn't going to have much (if any) sidewall bulge.  Most large diameter wheels have a "rim protector" on the sidewall...a raised section of sidewall that is pretty close to being flush with the wheel lip.  If you are running a low profile wheel/tire combo where the sidewall of the tire is flush with the inner/outer wheel lips, I think 1/2" clearance on each side is plenty.  An old school tire with a lot of sidewall will probably need a lot more.

CudaMoparRay

Just what I have been looking for, thanks

FSHTAIL

That was a good read. 

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)