Main Menu

Too Low in Back?

Started by rt71, July 28, 2022, 03:39:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

rt71

I am concerned that my 71 Challenger is sitting too low in the back for proper shock absorber function.  The springs are essentially "flat", and the shocks appear to be almost to the end of their compression.  Only 2.5" - 3" showing.  I have QA1 shocks all the way around.  The front has good travel, but the rear is really stiff.  Hardly any "jounce".  Is that a word?  Floor to top of the wheel well measurement is right at 24".  I know I bought the correct part numbers, so I'm guessing the rear springs need replacement.  Any other thoughts are appreciated.

70vert

mine measures 24 1/2 on the rear (floor to lip) so you're a tiny bit lower. I have Bilstein RCD all the way around and very old Mopar Performance XHD springs. I like the height of mine from a looks perspective and it seems to handle well.

As far as "jounce", keep in mind that the rear is much light than the front so may feel stiffer. Typically for a drag race, ie traction, you want a stiff rear suspension. I am not familiar with what the QA1 specs are or their target performance.

Chryco Psycho

Flat leaf springs will allow far better handling & the factory had them designed that way & sat lower then most would think , I like them up in the rear a little also & the best way to do this is just add a full leaf under the main leaf to the existing spring pack

dodj

Flat rear leafs are perfect imo, best handling . A lot of people like higher, but your cornering ability suffers. If you prefer the look, add a leaf.
Your QA1's are likely just fine, but I'll go out and see where my QA1 shocks are...tomorrow. Mine do not bottom out. I have the single adjustables.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill