Main Menu

Torsion bar adjustment

Started by Racer57, August 12, 2020, 06:59:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

How many turns of the adjustment bolt equals 1" ?

Chryco Psycho

That would depend entirely on the diameter of the T bar .

anlauto

I would think there would be too many factors to determine an exact number of turns for a particular vehicle. I would suggest trail/error method :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Scooter

I measured from ground (wheel center-line) to fender lip to make my adjustments.

GL

headejm

I just adjusted my 1970 RT w/ 383. Roughly 4-5 turns for one inch. I too measured from the ground to the fender trim lip. The factory adjusting method is difficult to do with the car sitting on the ground.  :alan2cents:

Racer57

I'm wanting to lower at the fender lip 1" and had thought it would be something easy. (like I thought with shocks), but nooooooooooooo.    :wrenching:

Thanks.

Cudajason

Quote from: Racer57 on August 13, 2020, 05:58:51 AM
I'm wanting to lower at the fender lip 1" and had thought it would be something easy. (like I thought with shocks), but nooooooooooooo.    :wrenching:

Thanks.

Its pretty easy....jack it up turn the adjustment bolt....put the car on the ground and see where you are.  From what I am hearing, start with a few full turns...not just a half a turn,
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

HP2

Ditto what Jason said. Put it in the air, back off a turn or two, drop it and bounce it a couple times, measure. repeat as necessary, reverse the process if you go too far.

gaddied

So after adjusting down a 1 inch do you have to do wheel alignment again ?

RUNCHARGER

You should yes. At a minimum check the toe in as that's easy to do.
Sheldon

anlauto

As per the factory manual, you should loosen the large nut on the pivot shaft as well. Otherwise you're putting all the extra strain on the bushing itself.

That large nut shouldn't be tightened until the ride height is set where you want it.

I agree after an inch of lowering the alignment should be checked again.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

YellowThumper

I suggest doing before and after measurements. Doesn't hurt to also measure the rear well heights for comparison. Changing heights significantly can alter the overall balance of the car. If rears measure the same left and right before (with no load adjusting shocks). Check afterwards to confirm. Fronts can still measure real close with rears measuring off further. Cantilever effect. Been there when I was young and dumb. Basically one front tire would carry more weight load than the other.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Scooter

Quote from: gaddied on August 13, 2020, 06:55:37 AM
So after adjusting down a 1 inch do you have to do wheel alignment again ?

Yes.

Note if you go down too far you might run out of camber adjustment.

Offset bushings or adjustable upper a-arms are the fix.

MOPAR MITCH

You may to consider placing the car on a set scales (at least the front wheels), with the driver seated, or as you'd typically drive the car "weighted", then adjust the torsion bars so that the front corner weights become more closely weighed, ideally equalized... you can get them very close, say within 10-20 pounds of each other, after some trials in adjusting the torsion bar ride height.   This should be done after you determine an approximate initial front end height (for tire clearance, etc).  Doing this technique will give you a better handling car, however, the difference in ride height from LF-to-RF may be about 1/2"-1"... but again, a better handling car given equal weight balance.  Then, go get an alignment.  Advantage: MOPAR adjustable torsion bar ride height... simple!