Main Menu

Torsion bars

Started by usraptor, February 16, 2017, 10:08:32 AM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

I know they are marked right and left, however is there a front and rear to the bars?  I checked the service manual and it doesn't say anything about being a front and rear.  One end is marked "UVW", the other is not.  Does it matter which end goes towards the front of the car?  :help:

Cuda Cody

I put them back the way I took them apart....  let me see if I can find a photo.

HP_Cuda

I wondered the same thing but I believe there is no difference front to back.

There are folks who say the "L" and "R" lettering are supposed to be installed at the front.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

usraptor

Quote from: HP_Cuda on February 16, 2017, 10:19:04 AM
I wondered the same thing but I believe there is no difference front to back.

There are folks who say the "L" and "R" lettering are supposed to be installed at the front.

HP-Cuda both the front and rear of my bars are stamped "L" and"R".

anlauto

I don't think it matters
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

Could not find any photos, but lets think about this.  Didn't see anything in the manual other then they are Right and Left.  But if they are right and left wouldn't they need to have a front and back?  Lets say for example that you are installing the drivers side (left) and in the example shown below you can installed it with either direction facing the front (shown as 1 & 2).  That will change the spring load on the torsion bar.  And if they can be loaded either direction then it really doesn't mater what one is right and left or what way is forward, correct?  You guys seeing it the same way or am I missing something?

In the end, I do think either direction is going to be fine.   :alan2cents:

cataclysm80

It doesn't matter which end is front or rear, but I like to put the identification numbers at the back so that anyone can check to see what size bars are installed.

61K T/A

No front or rear only R and L.

cataclysm80

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 16, 2017, 11:01:41 AM
Could not find any photos, but lets think about this.  Didn't see anything in the manual other then they are Right and Left.  But if they are right and left wouldn't they need to have a front and back?  Lets say for example that you are installing the drivers side (left) and in the example shown below you can installed it with either direction facing the front (shown as 1 & 2).  That will change the spring load on the torsion bar.  And if they can be loaded either direction then it really doesn't mater what one is right and left or what way is forward, correct?  You guys seeing it the same way or am I missing something?

I think that makes sense, but everything I've heard says that front vs rear doesn't matter.

Perhaps the reason for right and left is hex indexing instead of twist direction.

HP_Cuda

Sorry I meant that some folks like putting the lettering under the L and R like CWJ at the front.

I still don't think it makes a bit of difference the way the torsion bar works.

Cuda Cody

Now you might be on to something there!!!!

Quote from: cataclysm80 on February 16, 2017, 11:06:13 AM

Perhaps the reason for right and left is hex indexing instead of twist direction.

HP_Cuda

Imagine if you put them in backwards, you would have the torsion bar unload the opposite way.

Instead of providing an upward pressure, you would have downward pressure on your suspension.

usraptor

Thanks Cody and everybody else.  However, I think there may be a difference in diameter between the two.  Mine have different numbers stamped on the end of the right and left bars.  Off by one digit, if I remember correctly.  I'll check them again and report back.

Crocha617

Quote from: usraptor on February 16, 2017, 11:34:47 AM

Thanks Cody and everybody else.  However, I think there may be a difference in diameter between the two.  Mine have different numbers stamped on the end of the right and left bars.  Off by one digit, if I remember correctly.  I'll check them again and report back.

They should have different numbers one digit apart.

cataclysm80

Quote from: Crocha617 on February 16, 2017, 12:24:55 PM
Quote from: usraptor on February 16, 2017, 11:34:47 AM

They should have different numbers one digit apart.

Yes, the different number is only the last digits of the part number.