Main Menu

Truespoke/Motorspot EXCELLENT to deal with. AVOID KELSEY TIRES !!!!

Started by Racer57, Today at 09:55:58 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

Not long ago I purchased Goodyear RWL tires from Motorspot.  Initially I thought that the right front was out of round. Contacted them and they promptly sent me a new one including free shipping. It was at this time, I found out the tires came from Kelsey Tire. Couple weeks later I was on interstate and noticed that at 65+ mph there was a bad vibration. Local shop with high $$$ balancer, said tires were badly out of round. Contacted Motorspot and they said they would have to verify and for me to ship all 4 tires mounted on wheels to them. When they got them, they checked wheels and said tires should be thrown away. They then contacted Kelsey. Kelsey said they wouldn't pay for shipping and didn't trust Motorspot. Motorspot then took the time to locate a tire shop near Kelsey and told them they would ship tires to them, but for Kelsey to check at nearby shop. Kelsey did so and agreed that tires were bad and would recall what they had sold. I told Motorspot deeply appreciated their help and to mount BFGs. They said it would be best for me to just buy them locally to save shipping expense. Said that Kelsey original owner had passed and new owners don't care about customers. Said that Coker is a good place to deal with.

This is the letter that Motorspot sent me and a pic of Daves car .............

JH27N0B

That's concerning to hear.  Good Year are OEM for E bodies and Kelsey is the company that sells the repros.  No alternative source if you're trying to do an accurate restoration! Coker sells Firestone repros which were never originally installed on muscle era Mopars.

Katfish

Yikes!
How much did it cost to ship all 4 tires on rims?
Sounds like a nightmare

blown motor

Quote from: Katfish on Today at 11:21:19 AMYikes!
How much did it cost to ship all 4 tires on rims?
Sounds like a nightmare

I had the same thought.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

1970 cuda Joe

I've purchase 3 sets of tires from Kelsey tire over the years & haven't had any problems with them. The last set I purchased was in late 2023 for my 1970 cuda. Sorry to hear about your issues...Joe
1970 cuda 440-6, 4 speed, Moulin Rouge, re-creation

Racer57

The molds for Kelseys RWL Goodyear tires apparently are worn out is why all four of mine were out of round. I think they were probably purchased from Goodyear, when they discontinued them.  :dunno:  Local tire dealer said they've only had 1 out of round tire within the past 10+ years.  The shipping for all 4 tires was $288.36, $72.09 each from Illinois to California. I had no reason at the time to think they messed up, but Motorspot couldn't believe how cheap it was. Maybe they only charged what it costs them instead of a markup or was a mistake ?  :dunno:   

JH27N0B

Companies like Kelsey and Coker don't have their own factories to mold tires, they work with major tire manufacturers to make runs of tires for them under contract. I think the Kelsey tires are made at a Goodyear plant.  I'm surprised they'd let flawed product out of their plants.
The guy I've bought my repro tires from displays at MCACN every year. I'll try to remember to ask him at the show if he's heard many complaints about quality of Kelsey tires recently.
I bought the polyglas tires for my T/A 7 or 8 years ago, but the FR70s on my convertible I got in 2020.  I've been really happy with them.