Main Menu

Upper control arm bushings

Started by Solarguy, April 11, 2017, 11:46:50 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Solarguy

I took out the upper control arm bushings and have a question regarding how they were installed.  They were NOT pressed all the way in, they were almost centered in the arm.  Is there any scenario where this was a proper install?  I drove the car like that for the past 15 years without issue but now that new ones are going in, shouldn't they ALWAYS be pressed in to the shoulder? 

Cuda Cody

Do you have a photo?  I do not ever recall seeing them only pressed in half way?  :huh:  Here's some photos that might help.  I can take more photos if you need?

erik70rt

I haven't seen them pressed in halfway, either.  Always all the way.  I wouldn't trust them if they weren't all the way.  Also, how was the control arm able to fit with them only halfway?  I would think it would be too tight.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Solarguy

Thanks for the quick replys.  I figured it out, I was having a senior moment.  The bushings were all the way to the RAISED portion which when covered in grease made them look like they were not all the way in.  Once cleaned and removed, I see now.  Thanks again. 

Cuda Cody

Good deal.   :banana:  Let us know if you need help with anything else.   :slapme5:

Quote from: Solarguy on April 11, 2017, 12:27:41 PM
Thanks for the quick replys.  I figured it out, I was having a senior moment.  The bushings were all the way to the RAISED portion which when covered in grease made them look like they were not all the way in.  Once cleaned and removed, I see now.  Thanks again.

cataclysm80

While you've got it all apart...
If you're driving on modern steel belted radials instead of old bias-ply tires, I highly recommend installing offset upper control arm bushings to get some additional caster. 
Then get an alignment guy which will align it with more caster instead of using the old bias-ply specifications.

The car will drive better.  Improved grip in cornering, and the wheel will return to center better after cornering.

RUNCHARGER

I was trying to figure out how they were sitting in the saddles on the frame.
Sheldon

Solarguy

Do these serrated washers get reused.  I imagine they do just want to check first.  New bushings didn't come with these and are therefore shorter without.  I didn't see new ones available.  Thanks

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Solarguy on April 13, 2017, 08:34:03 AM
Do these serrated washers get reused.  I imagine they do just want to check first.  New bushings didn't come with these and are therefore shorter without.  Thanks

Most bushings come with new washers, since your didn't looks like your reusing the originals...

Cuda Cody

What brand are you using?  I thought the new ones came with the washers?   :notsure:  Mine normally come with the washers.  If yours do not have the washers you'll want to reuse the originals.   :alan2cents:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 13, 2017, 08:48:44 AM
What brand are you using?  I thought the new ones came with the washers?   :notsure:  Mine normally come with the washers.  If yours do not have the washers you'll want to reuse the originals.   :alan2cents:

Honestly I've never bought bushings that didn't come with new washers.... The offset bushings which I use practically exclusively these days come with the washers loose since the offset washers won't fit through the bore the bushing presses into but the washers are always there....

Solarguy

Thanks for the responses.  These are moog k408.The pic on moog's site shows them installed. 

http://www.fme-cat.com/overlays/part-detail.aspx?brandId=MC&pNum=K408&partType=Suspension

Mine are kinda beat up, I think I'll get in touch with Rockauto

Katfish

If getting new, I'd get the offset version