Main Menu

Vibration

Started by JS29, November 14, 2019, 02:04:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JS29

Quote from: Racer57 on November 14, 2019, 07:35:49 PM
When the vibration is at its worse, quickly put it in neutral and see if any changes.

I fought a vibration for 3 years. Changed brake drums, driveshaft and tried different degrees of tilting rear axle. Finally by accident found out the output shaft bushing on my Tremec was shot.
@Racer57        The car dose pop out of secant gear on deceleration, But the vibration comes in at speeds of hard acceleration in third gear or normal acceleration in fourth.   

JS29

Quote from: Scooter on November 14, 2019, 06:01:27 PM
I've had a friends car do the similar, turned out his u-joints were shot. Is the vibration tied to the actual speed of the car or engine rpm?
@Scooter    Definitely speed of the car!

Burdar

Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you look closely at the steering box mounts.  Make sure the mounts aren't moving around.  The welds have been known to crack.  The factory welds on the K-members weren't very good.

JS29

Quote from: Burdar on November 15, 2019, 11:18:08 AM
Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you look closely at the steering box mounts.  Make sure the mounts aren't moving around.  The welds have been known to crack.  The factory welds on the K-members weren't very good.
@Burdar I will have a look at that, the alignment shop should have checked that. I did have two alignments done.  :bigthumb:

Burdar

I highly doubt they checked that.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

dodj

Again, shocks and struts. Very important to stability.

From what you describe, it is in your front end. Not driveshaft.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Rich G.

You say the steering wheel shakes so bad you can't hold the wheel. Have you checked to see if the tires are actually round? Drive line vibrations don't necessarily shake the steering wheel , usually feel it in the seat and shifter. If you slowly rev the engine in neutral does the car vibrate. I had the wrong flywheel on my engine and it vibrated real bad!

JS29

@Rich G. The road force balance is suppose to check that. The engine is smooth, I do know about the flywheel thing. had a 460 i put in a tow truck once, the flywheel that came with the bellhousing was externally balanced, the engine i used was internally balanced.  :-[ 

Racer57

Quote from: JS29 on November 15, 2019, 11:07:23 AM
       The car dose pop out of secant gear on deceleration, But the vibration comes in at speeds of hard acceleration in third gear or normal acceleration in fourth.
I'm not going to say its the reason for the vibration your feeling, but if it pops out of gear, the tranny needs rebuilt.

JS29

Quote from: Racer57 on November 15, 2019, 01:53:01 PM
Quote from: JS29 on November 15, 2019, 11:07:23 AM
       The car dose pop out of secant gear on deceleration, But the vibration comes in at speeds of hard acceleration in third gear or normal acceleration in fourth.
I'm not going to say its the reason for the vibration your feeling, but if it pops out of gear, the tranny needs rebuilt.
:iagree:

JS29

They sanded and salted the roads here,  :crying: so the car is parked. The rotors are after market, the company that the conversion kit was made buy is out of business. What are the chances a rotor is out of balance? The fact they went under, makes me think the quality control wasn't there. Has any one ever heard of such a thing! there is no pulsing in the break pedal.   :dunno:

Rich G.

Very doubtful it's the rotors. If they were warped or anything you'd feel it in the brake pedal and the steering wheel on braking.

70 Challenger Lover

Wouldn't hurt to rotate tires front to back just to see if the location of the vibration changes. If not, you know the rims, tires and wheel weights are good.

JS29

@70 Challenger lover I have different size tires on the rear. I do know a guy with a challenger I will ask to see if he will let me try his tires from his car to check an completely eliminate tire,wheels as the culprit. I am still thinking rotor, the company that made them is no longer in business. and vary negative revues!  :fingerscrossed:   

YellowThumper

Just as a visual. I would check the rotation of rotor without a tire mounted. May be running true so there is no pedal pulsing. But look at all the surrounding casting. Could be the bearing is not centered to the bulk of hub meat. Mostly a visual check that all is not running like an eccentric. Or... possibly the front and rear bearings are not correctly positioned.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.