Main Menu

Warning about Centric calipers!

Started by ksierens, September 24, 2019, 11:14:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ksierens

Instead of rebuilding my original calipers, I decided to find some rebuilt ones. Find them was the first problem, not many out there anymore, but I did see they were available from Rockauto, Centric brand. Got them shipped, and they seemed to look fine, so I shipped back my cores. When I got to trying them on the car, one side would not event clear the bracket, so I needed to machine some off.  Luckily I have a milling machine, so it was not that big a problem. Then when I try to put them on the car, I found they would not slide all the way in, more machining on both side.  So be warned, if you buy calipers, try them on the car first with out the pads, and make sure the slide fully back and forth all the way.
1970 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4 Speed Dana 3.54

Burdar

I bought rebuilt calipers years ago from Car Quest.  I didn't want to lose any original parts to the car so I just paid the core charge.  When I finally got around to installing them, I had a leak at the brake hose.  Looking at the caliper body more closely, the casting was pitted right where the washer was supposed to seal.  I had to clean up that sealing surface in order to get rid of the leak.  Any rebuilt part needs to be looked at closely.  I'm sure the rebuilder is just concerned with replacing the pistons and doesn't really look at the hose sealing surface.

ksierens

These actually look like new castings.  My guess is at some point they were re-manufactured, but geez, surprised they were that far off!
1970 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4 Speed Dana 3.54

gzig5

I've had good luck with other Centric parts, but everybody has a bad day.  If you contact RockAuto, they should take them back.  No phone number, email only.  But they worked with me on a bad part I got from them.

JH27N0B

Many years ago, probably over 30 years back, one of my T/As calipers was sticking.  So I went to NAPA and bought a caliper.  It looked right but didn't fit, I may have took it back and got told it was right, I don't recall now, but I did end up having to work on it with a grinder to remove material to get it to fit.
So it's not a new issue or exclusive to Centric I don't think.

Cudakiller70

Depending what it is and if any slightest doubt I'll keep the cores too.

torredcuda

I bought rear brake cylinders a few years back from Napa, they were new castings probably made in China and wouldn`t even fit in the opening in the backing plate. I returned them and it took a few tries but I found some old Moog stock that fit perfectly. Now I will save any original or older parts and rebuild if I can rather than new China casting garbage.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

anlauto

In all the E Body disc brake set-ups I've restored, I've only come across this issue once before....So I guess you're just lucky  :banana:

Thanks for the heads up... :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

340challconvert

Wow
Thanks for the feedback on this
I bought Centric replacement calipers and their rotors for a 70 Challenger.
I installed with no problems, so this surprises me.

I still have the original rotors and calipers should the urge to rebuild them happen.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Cuda_mark

Quote from: 340challconvert on September 27, 2019, 08:24:25 AM
Wow
Thanks for the feedback on this
I bought Centric replacement calipers and their rotors for a 70 Challenger.
I installed with no problems, so this surprises me.

I still have the original rotors and calipers should the urge to rebuild them happen.

Same here..no issues with the ones I bought and installed.

erik70rt

Rockauto is now out of the Centric brand, and only has one side of what they do have in stock.  I don't see a lot of places selling them.  Year One has them for 136 each.  Autozone has them for 32 each.  I am leary to get them from a place like Autozone.  Any other suggestions on where to find good rebuilt calipers? 
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

ratroaster

You can get the pin type rebuilt calipers from most local auto parts stores.  O'reilly's, Napa and Autozone all have them listed locally to me.  They most likely will have to order them in.  Not sure on quality though.  Napa would be my 1st try..... 

Brads70

Quote from: erik70rt on October 09, 2019, 11:56:20 AM
Rockauto is now out of the Centric brand, and only has one side of what they do have in stock.  I don't see a lot of places selling them.  Year One has them for 136 each.  Autozone has them for 32 each.  I am leary to get them from a place like Autozone.  Any other suggestions on where to find good rebuilt calipers?

For $32 buck I'd take the chance. I've spent much more than that on other parts that didn't work out.

tman

I don't mind local stores particularly if you need the part fast and best of all, easiest to return.  To return items is a mess waiting for replacement parts and paying shipping for cores.  For brake calipers, I would keep the core unless they are not rebuildable.