Main Menu

Weird rear spring mounting

Started by fireguyfire, March 28, 2019, 07:53:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

Actually, it's gravel; this car was apparently driven a lot on gravel roads.
The inside of the K member was packed full of it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUNCHARGER

You're on the right path. Get that genius engineering out of there. I suspect the wrong length springs among other misdeeds.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Springs do not look original , the front may have been moved inward for more tire clearance

HP2

Quote from: fireguyfire on March 28, 2019, 10:42:48 AM
Perfect; great information.
Those measurement from center of the eye to the rear axle location, are they straight line measurements, or around the outside arc of the spring?

You can measure straight line eye to center bolt.

Would like to see more pics of where the front mounting structure is/should be if that is easy to do.

fireguyfire

Here you go; this is the rear passenger side. There is some surface rust but the area is rock solid; you can see where the spot welds were.

HP2

The hangers are not spot welded in. They bolt in with short studs pressed into the hanger. These bolt into a bulkhead that spans the gap between the frame rail and the outer sill panel. Those holes from torn spot welds appear to be were that panel resided, so you are missing an important piece of returning this to stock. You will need to replace this piece before you can bolt it all back together to be original.

fireguyfire

You bet; I have this metal frame connector pieces; they cane with the car.
Turns out the springs are short and non Mopar so I've ordered a factory correct set from Mopar performance and I'll go from there.

RUNCHARGER

Good: Nice to see another car going to be repaired properly.
Sheldon

JS29

Those mounting plates are or were available new from classic industries.   :alan2cents: