Main Menu

What shocks

Started by jlemler, March 03, 2021, 06:00:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jlemler

My 383 translates in to my car having a Hemi suspension.  This includes the shocks.  What would todays equivalent be? 

Skdmark

Are you looking for an OEM looking shock or a performance oriented shock?

If performance oriented, I've been happy with the single adjustable QA1 shocks.
IIRC they have ~10 settings and makes it easy to adjust firmness.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

bc3j

FWIW I use Gabriel OEM shocks. Other than radial tires and the associated front end alignment, the car has stock suspension. Not the answer if your performance oriented. I like the vintage ride while cruising.

jordan

Get the best shock you can afford.  Even performance shocks can make your car cruise nicer.  I am currently running AFCO adjustable shocks and love them.  I have read on this site that Viking, Bilstein, QA1, and Fox are great shocks.  Stay away from Tociko and KYB as they ride much too harsh.  Cheap Gabriel and Monroe shock technically work, but dont do much to control the tire and wear out quickly.  You get what you pay for is pretty usual for a quality shock.
"Don't brake until you see God!"

dodj

If you just want something 'equivalent' to original,  probably the cheapest shock out there  would be equivalent to a 1970 performance shock.
If you want a good shock,  see Jordan's post.
If you want an original,  or reproduction shock,  you would need to talk to people like 76orangewagon, 6bblgt.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

cudaragtop

Hands down easily one of the best bang for the buck improvements to ride in the 33+ years I've owned it.
Bilstein RCD on all 4 corners.
When I put them on in 2013, they were about $400 USD for all 4.

http://www.firmfeel.com/e_body_mopar_shocks.html

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

BIGSHCLUNK

70vert

Totally agree, Bilstein RCD are the best value improvement. I put them on my 70 and the ride is like night & day better.

Quote from: cudaragtop on March 09, 2021, 07:47:36 AM
Hands down easily one of the best bang for the buck improvements to ride in the 33+ years I've owned it.
Bilstein RCD on all 4 corners.
When I put them on in 2013, they were about $400 USD for all 4.

http://www.firmfeel.com/e_body_mopar_shocks.html

MoparLeo

Hate to have a slightly different opinion but I have run KYB shocks since the  70's on multiple Cudas and Challengers. Never had a "harsh" ride. Back then the only gas type shocks available were the Bilstein and KYB. The Bilstein were just very expensive, 4 times the price of the original Gas A-Just KYB. I wonder how many members actually have used the KYB and how many are just repeating what they hear. They are not junk just another option. About $30. back then. Bought my first ones from Buck Bradley in 76. Look him up.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

dodj

Quote from: MoparLeo on March 09, 2021, 09:53:30 AM
Hate to have a slightly different opinion
No you don't....lol  :P
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

7212Mopar

In 1980 with limited income I had Monroe front shocks and KYB air shocks at the back on my 72 Challenger. I wanted the butt up in the air look like everyone else. Got to add air once a week or so. Combined that with cheap tires, the handling was really bad. I sprung out a few times around curves going downhill. Fearless or stupidity when young.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

jordan

I actually ran the KYB shocks on a 73 Challenger that I restored in the mid 90s.  I painted them black to look stock.  I thought they were good at the time, but now that I actually got quality adjustable shocks, I can honestly say I think they rode harsh.  I had Tokico shocks in my BMW.  Way to harsh.  I put Bilstein shocks in and had a MASSIVE improvement in ride quality and handling because the tires actually stuck to the ground.  So, in my experience, and not just regurgitated internet story telling, I do not recommend them over the high end shocks that I recommended in my previous post.  It's your car, spend your money however you want.  You now have the information to make your own decision. 
"Don't brake until you see God!"

cudaragtop

I've run KYB and others... Gabriel, Monroe, etc.
None of them come close to the Bilstein RCD's on my car now and for the last 7-8 years. $395 for all 4 back then.

I stand by my previous statement... possibly the best bang for the buck I ever spent on improving the ride and handling of my Cuda in the 33+ years I have owned it. 

It was such an improvement to the ride and handling, I remember wishing I had stepped up years earlier.
Money may have been a little tighter years before though so there's always that.

A shock thread from a few years back on Cuda-Challenger. Where many of us hung out before there was E-Bodies .org
Still there and still a lot of good info.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=110707.15

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

HP2

Having run KYB shocks, I become less impressed with them the more I learned about suspensions.  They are high pressure gas with divergent valving. This means they provide a very high initial resistance that hits hard initially and fades over time. Some will see this as good handling because the high resistance really slows suspension reaction during quick or initial maneuvers so body roll is limited. They also work well on massive bumps that could bottom the suspension and work really well on smooth roads. Smaller bumps and sustained cornering is where their harshness and inability to sustain resistance illustrates their shortcoming.

Here is a very brief primer of divergent, linear and progressive valving. https://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/digressive-vs-linear-vs-progressive-pistons-shock-valving/

This is why  adjustable shocks are so popular because you can dial in the resistance curves in the shock to best suite  each individual taste or the intended application of cruise, drag race or cornering.

gzig5

The KYB are an economical choice, but I feet they ride a bit harsh.  Especially the rears.  Front don't seem to bother me, but I feel every bump and crack from the rear and my springs are stock as far as I can tell. 
When the car goes back together it will get QA1 single or double adjustment shocks front and rear because I want to do some track days and auto-X.  If I was doing a more sedate build with stock springs and T-bars, I'd go Bilstein.