Main Menu

Wheel Bent

Started by 71vert340, October 15, 2018, 07:01:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

I recently had new Polyglas tires mounted on my rallye wheels on the convertible. The tire installer said the one wheel is not true and was possibly bent sometime in the past. These are the wheels the car came with. He recommended putting the wheel on the rear. I have other rallye wheels but none are probably date coded for the car. I could take it off, put another wheel on and maybe send this one to be straightened in the future. There's no visible damage to wheel showing the car hit a curb or anything.  I don't want to drive the car if it has a dangerous problem. I put maybe 25 miles on the car each year. Any suggestions?
Terry

RUNCHARGER

25 miles a year and you didn't notice it before? I would just leave it on the rear.
Sheldon

anlauto

:iagree: Put it on the rear and forget about it
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71vert340

Pretty much all around town driving. This year and last year combined, only driven 12 miles total.
Terry

71vert340

It just dawned on me when that wheel could have gotten bent. In 1972 and again in 1973, the left front fender got hit hard enough to put the fender against the tire. I had to use a big pry bar to make it so the fender was away from the tire and I could drive it. After the second time someone backed into it, I eventually had to have both the outer and inner fenders replaced with a new Dodge dealer pieces. Rotating bias ply tires would be in a X pattern. That would put that tire on the right side. I eventually went to radial tires so the wheel would have stayed on right side. See photo of second hit.
Terry

1 Wild R/T

All I can tell you is you need to drive it more...... 12 miles last year?  I drove mine 200 miles last week....

Katfish

If it hasn't worried you in the last 30 yrs, why start now?

RUNCHARGER

I said to leave it on but I see it is a 14. I wouldn't worry about driving on it, however that wouldn't stop me from looking for a correct dated one.
Sheldon

Rich G.

12 Miles???? I'd be crying if I only drove my car 12 miles. Must be one hell of a rare car if you don't want to drive it!

Chryco Psycho

There are many companies that specialize in repairing & straightening wheels , why not see if it can be repaired , cost would not be much

71vert340

Quote from: Rich G. on October 15, 2018, 07:17:09 PM
12 Miles???? I'd be crying if I only drove my car 12 miles. Must be one hell of a rare car if you don't want to drive it!

Not an extremely rare car ( 18 are listed in the shaker registry) but I'm currently working on a 1974 Ralleye Charger that I've had apart for 10 years. Besides balancing other aspects of every day life with family and work, driving the convertible is down on the list. I'll be taking the heater box out of it this winter and restoring it. I try to do one project a year on it. I have a 2015 Challenger Shaker R/T I drive daily. It's difficult to find time to drive my vehicles as often as I would like. I retired 3 weeks ago and am catching up now. Thanks for the input.
Terry

BIGSHCLUNK

I thought I had the record last year not driving my car  But at 12 miles you got me beat  :worship:

Jay Bee

I bought new Cooper Cobras July 5, 2017 and the installer told me the same thing. One rim was bent/not true and he had difficulty balancing it. It was put on the back but I can't remember which side. Since then I've put over 6,200 miles on the car and haven't noticed any issues. Whether it becomes a problem as the tire wears and nears the end of its life, who knows.

P.S. I guess it all depends on the severity of the "untrueness".

71vert340

It's been awhile since I thought about the bent wheel on my Challenger. I've been busy with the Charger but recently started organizing some of my spare parts in the shop. I saw my spare Rallye wheels and decided to take a look at them I was surprised to see the wheel date on the one. Looks like be changing the bent one soon after all. My Challenger was built in November 1970. The wheel, if I'm reading it right, was made in November 1970. All these years and I never took the time to check the wheels and the dates. I'll have the tire dealer spin it up to make sure it's okay. If not, we have a shop that straightens wheels less than 5 miles from me.
Terry