Main Menu

Widening Aluminum Rims ?

Started by anlauto, August 06, 2022, 05:26:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Has anybody ever heard of this process, or had it done ? Apparently it's pretty popular in the custom car world....I have a potential customer who likes the look of the YearOne 17" rallies, but would like to see a mini tub and a much wider tire, maybe a P345/40R17  :rubeyes:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mr Cuda

Sure, why not.

In my experience,  it's best to make the new wheel a 3pc wheel. This means  making the cutting the wheel down to get the center.
Normally,  they use a forged center,  so don't  know if they can do this safely with a cast wheel.
Other places just cut the barrel an add a wider peice.  Fine for the back, looks wise, but again, not so great of a deal if a cast wheel.
Front side widening might be hard because of the trim ring being the face.

rikkitik

Weldcraft wheels, Livonia Michigan, can do it if you're looking to add to the backside/backspace of the wheel. Resonable prices, very good work. (734) 779-1303
James@weldcraftwheels.com

anlauto

:twothumbsup: exactly what I had in mind, thanks for the link...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Filthy Filbert

Lots of Dakota guys have widened the back 17"RT wheels to accept 315 wide drag tires.  They all used the shop in Michigan. 

YellowThumper

Yea 315s would have been sweeeeeet.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: YellowThumper on August 08, 2022, 03:01:57 PM
Yea 315s would have been sweeeeeet.

I once had some stupid wheels on my Dakota.  345s in the back and 315s on the front.  They fit and didn't stick out more than 1/2" from the fender flares, but they sucked to drive.  They found every 'rut' and bump in the asphalt and the truck felt like someone else was steering it. 

That's when I realized there is such a thing as 'too wide' haha.

They would have been amazing on a road course though.... If only Mid-Ohio would get over their stance of "no trucks period"