Main Menu

will 15x8 wheels fit on front

Started by rtgreen, February 25, 2021, 05:10:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

rtgreen

70 cuda. will 15x8 wheels fit on front? if so what backspacing and tire size. i messed up and bought 15x8  for the front. cant take em back.

Skdmark

Check this thread.
Reply 7 has a 15x8 on the front and has tire dims and BS info too.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/e-body-tire-sizes-what-fits-whats-too-big-what-looks-good/4016/

I had 15x8 a long time ago on my Challenger. Don't recall tire size.
Had tire rubbing issues when turning on an incline (driveways etc).
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Cudaerik

I got 15x8" with 4" BS on 225 70 R15

HP2

15x8 will fit on the front, but backspace will determine how wide a tire you can use on it. I have 15x8 on the front of my Challenger with a 255 tire on them. Backspace is 4.5" and I had to roll the edge of the fender lip at the top to avoid contact.  4.75 backspace would be ideal and is the greatest backspace you can use on a 15" diameter rim before it contacts the ball joint. This backspace is hard to find though. In the past, I have used a 5" backspace with a quarter inch spacer to achieve the 4.75".

Cudaerik that looks nice.  However, the sidewall bulge on the front tire makes it look bigger than a 225 on an 8" rim.  Are you positive on the dimensions?

autoxcuda

Quote from: HP2 on February 25, 2021, 06:56:03 AM
15x8 will fit on the front, but backspace will determine how wide a tire you can use on it. I have 15x8 on the front of my Challenger with a 255 tire on them. Backspace is 4.5" and I had to roll the edge of the fender lip at the top to avoid contact.  4.75 backspace would be ideal and is the greatest backspace you can use on a 15" diameter rim before it contacts the ball joint. This backspace is hard to find though. In the past, I have used a 5" backspace with a quarter inch spacer to achieve the 4.75".

Cudaerik that looks nice.  However, the sidewall bulge on the front tire makes it look bigger than a 225 on an 8" rim.  Are you positive on the dimensions?

Aftermarket upper control arm can give a little additional room for 15" rims to get additional backspace. Factory UCA's have a little lip next to the ball joint socket
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

HP2

True, aftermarket arms may give you that extra 1/4" plus maybe an additional 1/8" or so without the stock lip on them.

gzig5

I have 15x7 with a 255/60-15 tire on the front.  I see no reason why that tire on 8" rim wouldn't fit.  I don't know my offset, but I want to say it is 3.5 or 4"  Guys have run up to at least 285 width on the front with no modifications.  Depends on the diameter (aspect ratio) and wheel offset.

autoxcuda

Quote from: gzig5 on February 25, 2021, 03:01:33 PM
I have 15x7 with a 255/60-15 tire on the front.  I see no reason why that tire on 8" rim wouldn't fit.  I don't know my offset, but I want to say it is 3.5 or 4"  Guys have run up to at least 285 width on the front with no modifications.  Depends on the diameter (aspect ratio) and wheel offset.

Stock 15x7 rallye is 4.25" backspacing

Common aftermarket 15x8 rallye is 4.5" backspacing 
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

rtgreen

thank you. bought some cragar ss rims brand new. messed up on the size. was hoping i could still run them.  i will have to ck back spacing.

Ebody Edgar

From other forums i have read that a 26 inch tall 10 inch wide tire will fit all 4 corners nicely and
staggered tire sizes make getting any reasonable positive caster setting  almost impossible
plus the car will not handle well. I have seen cars equipped like this, looks good. Furthermore the forums speak of An  8 inch rim should have 4.5 inches of backspace. When spending money on wheels it was recommended 16x8  as the car drives better and 95% of the world has no idea there are 16 inch wheel on the car.  There is a nice tire that fits that rim that happens to be a 26 inch tall 10 inch wide high performance tire.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport+COMP-2&partnum=55WR6GFSPC2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

HP2

Quote from: rtgreen on February 26, 2021, 03:06:32 PM
thank you. bought some cragar ss rims brand new. messed up on the size. was hoping i could still run them.  i will have to ck back spacing.

Depends on which wheel you bought. I think the Cragar SS 15x8 comes in either 4.25 or 2.5.  Certainly the 4.25" ones will work. However, if you went for the traditional "deep dish" look, then you probably have the 2.5" version and those won't work on the front.

FWIW, here are my 15x8 with a 255/50R15 tire on the front. Rears are 15x10 with a 305/45R15

rtgreen

then it has to be the 4.25 back spacing. im sure the back ones are 2.5 . so 255 50 tires then?

HP2

8" is equal to 203mm so most size calculators will tell you 215 to 245 is the proper size tire for an 8" rim.  Obviously I've got a 255 equivalent on mine without issue and I have run up to a 275 on an 8" without trouble.

If you are looking for a 4 wheel square set up, consider using a 60 aspect ratio with 245 0r 255 width.

rtgreen