Main Menu

1970 Barracuda Reanimated.

Started by Marty, December 13, 2020, 04:02:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Marty and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Marty

Finished off the blocking with the 100 grit then applied three coats of Evercoat Optics high build. This primer is Pink in color so it can be used as a guide coat. Once dry, I moved the Barracuda to the other part of the shop to cure. Meanwhile, I hand sanded all the jambs and gutters. 100,120,220,320, red Scotch-Brite pad. The forward jambs are left untouched for the moment. It's a good idea to wear mechanics gloves while detail sanding.

Evercoat Optics high build primer. 2.0 primer gun at 15 PSI+. 10% reduced w/Acetone (optional). Three wet coats.

usraptor

Looking good!  :clapping:  I'm so glad I'm past that stage.  :veryexcited:

Marty

I agree. The worse part of the prep is hand sanding the jambs and gutters. :('

Marty

Muscle memory.

After a few weeks, I guide coated the primer then blocked with 100 then finished it with 120. Just to make sure the body line was straight, I primed the area with Optics, ran a tape line, and blocked with 100 and 120.

More guide coat and blocked with 220.

I removed the header panel, lower valance, and hood. Put the Barracuda on jack stands.

Guided coated again. This time I used a finishing DA equipped with a Hook-It interface pad in between the 400 grit Hook-It sandpaper and the hard pad attached to the DA. The interface pad conforms to the contours of the body so you end up with a smoother and more level surface.

If I was applying a silver of a high metallic base, I sand up to 800 grit.

Marty

I had a stud broken on the Shaker Hood ring. I drilled a hole through the stud, cut the head off a screw, and cut to size. Filled the hole with panel bonding adhesive and inserted the threaded portion. Once it cured, I leveled the repair, strip sanded off the paint, skim coated with Evercoat edge. Primed with Evercoat Optics.

Stripped sanded the tail panel and primed with Evercoat Optics. The trunk gutter was prepped also.

Prepping the Barracuda for paint:

Thoroughly clean the body (Air and vacuum) and the paint area. Masked off the undercarriage, wheel wells, engine compartment, and the passenger compartment floor. I'm not only preventing overspray but keeping hidden dirt contained. I kept the hood hinges in place since I already have the hood where I want it and I don't want to be gouging up the paint trying to readjust it again. I used tin foil for this. The floor was swept and mopped and the walls cleaned with a dust mop and Endust.

Marty

Final prep & paint.

Attached a chain to the rear axel bolting it from hub to hub. Dry mopped the floor. This will ground the car to keep the static electricity from building up from the final wipe downs. The body is wiped again with a water-based surface cleaner, then tack ragged. Sprayed some "Bull Dog" adhesion promoter in the forward door jambs and along the top of the fenders where they're attached to the engine compartment aprons. This will lock the paint to the door hinge area and the (bare) fender bolt heads.

Mixed up some white epoxy sealer and sprayed on one coat. I chose white to make the Limelight base really pop. Flashed for 30 minutes.

Mixed up some Limelight green base and sprayed on three coats. 10-minute flash.

Mixed the clearcoat and applied three coats. 30-minute flash. Left to cure.

I used the copper Tekna 1.3 tip gun.

Northstar high solids epoxy primer. White. 2 quarts. 1-1-1 mix w/ slow activator and reducer. 27-30 psi. 1 coat.
Diamont basecoat. J5 Lime.  5 quarts. 1-1 mix. Slow reducer. 23-24 psi. 3 coats.
Matrix AG-40 high solids clearcoat kit. Medium temp. 2.1 mix. 27-30 psi. 3 coats.

larry4406

Very nice!

Do you have your own paint booth?

RUNCHARGER

Great, helpful details. Thanks for posting, car looks superb.
Sheldon

YellowThumper

Wow awsome! That pops nicely.
Great detail in write up.

Thanks.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Marty

Quote from: larry4406 on January 20, 2021, 03:13:03 AM
Very nice!

It's more like a room rather than a booth that is built into my home shop. It has crossflow ventilation, a fresh air breathing system, and plenty of lighting.

Marty

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 20, 2021, 07:29:16 AM
Great, helpful details. Thanks for posting, car looks superb.

Thank you. Plenty more to go.

Marty

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Marty

larry4406

Quote from: Marty on January 21, 2021, 02:35:54 AM
Quote from: larry4406 on January 20, 2021, 03:13:03 AM
Very nice!

It's more like a room rather than a booth that is built into my home shop. It has crossflow ventilation, a fresh air breathing system, and plenty of lighting.

Would like to see details of your booth/room, lighting, and ventilation & breathing systems if you get the chance.  It clearly provides you with excellent results.