Main Menu

1970 Challenger JHN0B 4 speed Restoration Back in Swing

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, April 26, 2020, 08:27:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

After spending all of last year getting my RT back on the road so I could sell it off, I took some time off before getting back to this car; A numbers matching JH four speed car with the 335 HP 383 (orange, not blue). Badly rotted out everywhere but a couple years ago, I completely rebuilt the front end and put in new floor patches. The rear end was completely wasted but I took a break while I banged out the RT because I really needed the room. A few weekends ago, I started back on this car.

I now have the new rear rails in and both wheel houses. I was forced to put in new leaf spring hanger brackets as well. Today, I got all four torque boxes welded in. Those things are bulletproof. Now that my trunk lid hinges are secured again, I can do the Dutchman panel next. After that, I want to fit the tail panel and quarters. The trunk floor is ready but I don't want that welded in until the quarters and tail panel line up perfect.

three two barrels

70 Challenger Lover

Made it myself. Based of other people's designs and I added the adjustability. I went overboard though and used very heavy gauge tubing. Damn thing weighs easily 1/2 ton. I've loved using it though. We hope to move cross country in a couple years. As much as I'd like to keep it, I'll probably sell it just to avoid the backache of moving it.

Shoooter

Cuda Cody

FIAARMN

1970 AAR Cuda Limelight Green,White Interior, - Hamtramck Built 36k miles, Verified All Numbers Match - Broadcast Sheet, Warranty Card & Window Sticker!

dodj

You certainly look like you are set up for that kind of work. Nice!

How did you find such a rusty california car?  :pokeeye:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

70 Challenger Lover

It was an Oklahoma car. I guy I know bought it and after getting it to California, starting rethinking whether it was worth the effort. Looking back, it has definitely not been. The only part of the car I will be reusing is the birdcage cabin area with the doors. Even then, I had the replace floor patches, rocker patches, roof skin, upper and lower cowl. I probably could get away with reusing the roof skin but there is so much rust underneath, I feel I need to rip it off and treat the cross supports really well.

This car is a great example of how a car can reach the point of no return if you leave it out in the elements long enough.

When I picked it up a few years back, I was only starting to learn metal work and welding. I still enjoy the challenge of a project like this but I wouldn't take on another car this far gone unless the purchase price was basically parts car price.

anlauto

At least now you're headed in the right direction.... :twothumbsup:  putting them together is more rewarding then taking them apart :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

Got the Dutchman panel off, sandblasted the exposed areas and welded in the new one. This had to be one of the easiest pieces of metal ever to install. Fit like a glove. I know everyone swears by AMD but Dynacorn impresses me each time.

JS29

anlauto

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on April 28, 2020, 07:02:41 PM
Got the Dutchman panel off, sandblasted the exposed areas and welded in the new one. This had to be one of the easiest pieces of metal ever to install. Fit like a glove. I know everyone swears by AMD but Dynacorn impresses me each time.

When you weld this panel and other panels in place like the wheel tubs, are you test fitting the surrounding panels like the quarter panels? Are you using Dynacorn quarters, and what are your thoughts on them ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

Yes. I have test fit the quarters but in my typical "overthinking" way of doing stuff, I came up with an order of assembly that made the most sense to me and allowed me some forgiveness if I messed up. The car suffered a minor rear end collision before I got it so I don't want to throw it all together assuming it will line up right.

I needed the rails, shock tower, leaf spring braces, and wheel tubs in place first to give me a good starting point. I purposely did not weld the rear seat panel to the wheel tubs though. I left them free floating so I could force the rail assembly up or down an inch if needed. The next step is to get the rear tail panel welded to the trunk floor so I can set it in place. I still won't weld the floor assembly to the rails and wheel wheels though. Then I will fit the quarters again along with the trunk floor/tail panel assembly. This will allow me to move the floor assembly forward or backward a bit or up or down. Once I get all these floating items locked in exactly how I want them, then I will weld the seat back panel to the wheel wells and floor/tail panel to the rails and wheel wells. This will permanently set the trunk floor height and lock the tail panel in as well.

Then the quarters will come back off And I will cut the roof skin off. The roof skin adds some structural rigidity so I want to save removal for last. From there, I'm going to sand blast the entire exposed area including bracing normally hidden by the roof skin and quarter panel (the pocket where the quart windows sit) and seal that whole area with epoxy and paint. Then the new roof skin and quarters will all go on at once.

If it all goes to plan, I should have a solid and well protected car when I'm done. Then I'll add in the sub frame connectors and put it on the rotisserie for cleaning and sealing.

70 Challenger Lover

I forgot your other question. Yes, I got a smoking deal on a pair of dynacorn quarters. I test fit them on the car and I'm extremely happy with them so far. They look very nice. The final test will come when I am able to test fit them again with the rear tail panel in place.

70 Challenger Lover

Got one of the subframe connectors in. Not too bad a job but it takes up your time.